• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit cold after spay

Hi everyone just giving you all a littl update. Phoebe is doing well and getting back to her usually cheeky self! We just had her in the play pen supervised as she has a reputation for trying to jump it! (It's 31/2 ft, girl is brave!!) and she did try to jump it tonight and gave me the fright of my bloody life! Back in the cage she goes for now haha, sorry Phoebe but you will thank me in the long run!

Wound is looking better and is healing nicely, still looks a teeeny bit swollen but that's expected i suppose :) back to the vets on Wednesday for one final check up before she gets the all clear, yay!

She's playing with her favourite toys too again which is keeping her entertained :)

Thanks again for all the advice on here, being a new bunny mummy is frightening, God knows how I'll cope being a hoomin mummy!!

Hi everyone just giving you all a littl update. Phoebe is doing well and getting back to her usually cheeky self! We just had her in the play pen supervised as she has a reputation for trying to jump it! (It's 31/2 ft, girl is brave!!) and she did try to jump it tonight and gave me the fright of my bloody life! Back in the cage she goes for now haha, sorry Phoebe but you will thank me in the long run!

Wound is looking better and is healing nicely, still looks a teeeny bit swollen but that's expected i suppose :) back to the vets on Wednesday for one final check up before she gets the all clear, yay!

She's playing with her favourite toys too again which is keeping her entertained :)

Thanks again for all the advice on here, being a new bunny mummy is frightening, God knows how I'll cope being a hoomin mummy!!

i am so glad things are working out well :thumb:

In my experience being a human mummy is easier than being a bunny's mummy, because we are the same species and cry when something is wrong. The problem with rabbits is that they don't complain!!

Good luck ongoing xx

Haha you are right in that, at least we have an instinct if we suspect something is wrong!

I'm a bit worried about my relationship with phoebe though. She had her last check up yesterday and the vet told me to keep her in her cage for 10 days (until saturday). I've been letting her out for an hour a day but every time she comes out she thumps and then when she goes back in she's trying to get out of the cage by full on biting the metal. I mean she's going to town on that thing and there's no way she'll get out. But i don't want an angry bun :( But it's for her own good and is only for 2 more days...

She used to let me stroke her all the time up until the past couple of days but now she flinches every time i try to stroke her and she runs off. I just feel really guilty keeping her couped :(

I shouldn't worry too much about your relationship with Phoebe. It's my experience that rabbits soon forgive and forget. All my rabbits have reacted in much the same way as Phoebe, e.g. thumping and not being happy if I'm around, immediately after a spell of having to medicate them. I've found it doesn't last long though and they soon return to being more relaxed once they realise the medication has stopped.

Haha you are right in that, at least we have an instinct if we suspect something is wrong!

I'm a bit worried about my relationship with phoebe though. She had her last check up yesterday and the vet told me to keep her in her cage for 10 days (until saturday). I've been letting her out for an hour a day but every time she comes out she thumps and then when she goes back in she's trying to get out of the cage by full on biting the metal. I mean she's going to town on that thing and there's no way she'll get out. But i don't want an angry bun :( But it's for her own good and is only for 2 more days...

She used to let me stroke her all the time up until the past couple of days but now she flinches every time i try to stroke her and she runs off. I just feel really guilty keeping her couped :(

Aww I do understand. It's a bit heartbreaking, isn't it?

It certainly can make rabbits feel wary when you have to coop them up for medical reasons, or if they have any medical handling. Some rabbits forget instantly (like my boys) but others hold a grudge.

I hope she doesn't damage her teeth by biting on the cage bars?

I think once she comes out she will feel much better in herself. I would assess her relationship with you after she's got her freedom. It's a bit too early to be worrying now, I feel :)

Good luck, you're doing well :wave:

Back