• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really Worried Now

Furballs

Young Bun
Any advice would be appreciated - don't know what to do for the best!
My little Harvey suddenly developed a runny eye and started to go off his food. Took him to the vets on Tuesday, they said he needed a dental, although his teeth weren't overly bad.
He went on Wednesday for his dental. Picked him up at 3pm Wednesday. Initially thought he was feeling sorry for himself, but then his stomach was growling massively and he was grinding his teeth very loudly. We had an emergency trip back to the vets yesterday morning and they gave him a painkilling injection and a stomach injection to get his stomach going again. After a couple of hours became a bit more active, had some cabbage at tea time and seemed to be picking up. This morning back to square one. Laid on his sofa and won't move. Won't have breakfast. Tried to eat his dandelion leaves, but kept chewing as if he wanted them but then spitting out. Tried to get some of the emergency food in him, but easier said than done and that all came back out. Vet did say he could have one more set of injections at the end of today, but really not sure I want to wait that long. Am also conscious that everytime I take him to the vets that stresses him out too!! His wifeybun goes with him, which does help.

Hi sorry to hear this I know how scary the stomach problems are. Runny eye can be caused by the root of the tooth pressing from the inside as well, an X Ray would probably show if that's the problem.
Syringe feeding is so hard when they spit it out, I'm having the same problem. The more runny it is I think the harder to spit it out compared to a lump of food.
With the injectables, it's possible to have them as oral medicines if you're happy to administer from home. They're absorbed easier via injection but doing them at home means less stress with the travelling. Hope he gets better soon x

I think your bunny needs to be admitted - will your Vet do this? I wouldn't give him cabbage at this time as it is known to cause gas in some rabbits. Hope your bun recovers soon.

Did you vets send you home with oral pain killers to give him? If he improved after pain relief, it could be the injection is starting to ware off and pain killers at home may benefit him.
I'd call and discuss with your vets as they may want to admit him to monitor his pain & the nurses may have more luck getting the recovery food into him (I know how difficult it can be).
Sending vibes for you.

They didn't give me any painkillers to bring home. I do think they may help.
Am just about to ring the vets again now to see what they say.

He definately needs painkillers to be given at home daily.

Good luck with the call to the vet!

Left Harvey at the vets along with his wifeybun Misty for company. They want to syringe feed him every hour throughout the afternoon. Collecting him at 6.30pm :(

When you go to collect him, insist on pain relief to take home with you for a few days.
If he's in pain he'll stop eating again so easier to keep the pain relief at a stable level in his system for a few days x
Fingers crossed he starts eating again

Also, have some Simethicon drops (baby gas drops) at home, in case there is any problem with gas. About 20mg per feeding/twice a day.
Easiest way to get it into the rabbit when it is eating by itself is soaking a little kitchen oatmeal with it.

Belly massages work too, put it on your lap and work your fingers under the belly, and even my rabbit that normally doesn't like being touched there liked it for about half an hour when it had problems. I think it also helps to get things moving.

Last edited:
Back from vets. Harvey has been shringe fed this afternoon and then apparently started eating some hay! Have come home with some gut stimulant to give 3 times a day and some painkillers to use if required. He's not looking too happy at the moment but that could be because he has blog on with me! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :love:

I'm at a loss as what to do next. Picked Harvey (and Misty) up from the vets Friday night. They said he had been eating some hay and had some shringed food and very very confident he would come home and eat. Came away with Gut stimulant and pain killers for the weekend, but they were very confident he would start eating at home. Came home, he has picked at a few bits over the weekend, but really not bothered. He either doesn't bother, or then chews his food and spits it out.
First thing Monday morning we were back at the vets. They kept them both for the day. Gave him a bigger dose of gut stimulant and pain killers. When I collected them at 5.30pm they said he had been eating and pooping, and they were very happy that he would continue at home. He also had blood tests and all were clear. We came home, and as far as I am aware he hasn't eaten a thing, apart from one biscuity rabbit treat (yes I know he should have, but only has one a day). Today doesn't help as it is so hot (they've got their ice pods in and fan on) - but just don't know what to do with him next.

Back