• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating greens

Hi,

I have recently got my rabbit through GI Stasis, and she wouldn't eat pellets but loved her greens, she is back eating them now but has gone off her greens completely. Can the GI Stasis put her off eating greens from now on? How important are greens for a rabbit

Hi there! Some rabbits don't get fed any greens and get all their nutrients from hay and pellets., so it isn't vital to give them greens. I am wondering if she might have a teeth problem as she has now stopped eating veg. As you may know bunnies only need about an eggcup full of pellets per day, the rest of their food should be mainly hay. How old is she?

Hi,

I have recently got my rabbit through GI Stasis, and she wouldn't eat pellets but loved her greens, she is back eating them now but has gone off her greens completely. Can the GI Stasis put her off eating greens from now on? How important are greens for a rabbit

How much hay is she eating?

Greens aren't essential, as you can feed a variety of food, including lots of free stuff:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

She may come back to greens in time. Do you feed any other veggies?

Hi there! Some rabbits don't get fed any greens and get all their nutrients from hay and pellets., so it isn't vital to give them greens. I am wondering if she might have a teeth problem as she has now stopped eating veg. As you may know bunnies only need about an eggcup full of pellets per day, the rest of their food should be mainly hay. How old is she?

Hi it isn't her teeth as they checked them a couple of week ago at vet. She is 7

Hi

To be honest she has never been struck on eating hay, she has a nibble now and again. give her carrot top not sure what else she can have

Hi it isn't her teeth as they checked them a couple of week ago at vet. She is 7

A vet looking into the mouth with an otoscope can only see about 60% of the back teeth. They can only be thoroughly checked under sedation, if your vet doesn't do dentals while the rabbit is conscious (lots do).

Back