• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bit at the bottom of a bag of hay.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I'm sure most (if not all) of us are familiar with the bits left at the bottom of bags of hay. But has anyone found anything useful to do with them?

My latest bag has a huge amount of tiny / crumbled bits at the bottom, it seems a shame to throw it away.

Does anyone have any suggestions for treats etc?

Thanks in advance x

Perhaps make homemade treats with the dusty end of pellets/hay, some chopped forage & banana (to hold it together) cooked until dry at a low temperature for them?

A lot of people make bunny biscuits with them :wave: I can't mind the proper recipe but it's on here somewhere and includes banana etc. I'll be trying this out soon :D

Edit: tlcwrites beat me to it :oops:

Thank you both, sounds like fun, will have to give it a try :D

I'd like to (if I can) try and hang some things up in the run, so they have to reach up x

I've not tried hay based treats but others on here have. The reason I've not tried hay is I wonder about keeping the integrity of the hays nutrition when drying it out sufficiently to stop the fruit going mouldy. I expect the hay would not absorb much of the water content compared to say nugget dust, & therefore dry out disproportionately quick. I could be over thinking this. I do add a little in the way of dried herbs, hawthorn crumples, echinacea & wonder if there is any point to me doing that for the same reasons I've twittered on about above.

I just pour it into the food bowl. The bunnies love it and lick the bowl trying to finish it all off!

Thanks for replying. I get what you mean j&b :)

Maybe I could just get a tray and press things into it? So no cooking involved. I could put in some fruit / veg / pellets and the bits of hay and just squidge it together. I'm sure the rabbits aren't going to care x

I just use it in the litter tray so newspaper, then that then my usual hay layer :thumb:

I've not tried hay based treats but others on here have. The reason I've not tried hay is I wonder about keeping the integrity of the hays nutrition when drying it out sufficiently to stop the fruit going mouldy. I expect the hay would not absorb much of the water content compared to say nugget dust, & therefore dry out disproportionately quick. I could be over thinking this. I do add a little in the way of dried herbs, hawthorn crumples, echinacea & wonder if there is any point to me doing that for the same reasons I've twittered on about above.
Hay's already dried out as much as it's going to usually, so I doubt it would affect it.

Back