• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet servings

Maddy :)

New Kit
Hi,
I am getting 2 rabbits, a small white one and a medium to large dwarf lop. They are both 2 years old. The only thing is I don't know how much is should feed them - is 75g enough for both of them?
And if so should i feed them that in the morning and evening or just morning or evening?
They eat the science selective adult pellets.
Thanks!:D

an eggcup full each per day (or eggcup full per kg body weight some say) is all they really need but make sure to reduce to that amount slowly if they are currently having more. i think that would be about 25g each. hopefully someone else will confirm :)

welcome to RU Maddy. Its good to check these things out as the feeding instructions on the packets are misleading...resulting in fat rabbits with dental issues.

Hay & or grass should make up 80% of a bunnies diet (at least), topped up with leafy veg / herbs / safe wild plants & perhaps a few nuggets. They aren't really necessary but I give mine some just because they love them. My bunnies are 2.5-3k in weight & there is three of them. They have a small handful scatter fed - it works out at 8g each so hardly anything. However I would taken in to account their former diet & make changes reasonably slowly. Do you know what they eat now?

Our two bunnies share 25g of SS pellets a day, these are scattered in their pen some in the morning and some in the evening
Obviously everyone has their own ideas on the correct amount[emoji6]

As with any 'new' animal, it is best to keep to their existing feeding regime for a while so that they can settle in, then adjust if needed. Pellets should not be the main part of a rabbit's diet. Hay / grass is important for gut health and wearing down the teeth. Find out what other things they are used to eating and how they are fed and stick to this for a couple of weeks. Dietary changes also depend on the general health and weight (ie under / over or ideal weight) of the rabbit. The SS pellets they are on are one of the recommended ones, so there should be no need to swap brands. Any changes to amounts or new items should be made very gradually so as not to cause any digestive upsets. Good luck with your new furry family.

When I got Lopsy (he was about 1.5yrs) he was on a handful of pellets (that he came with) morning and night, so I weaned him down over a week to a handful in the evening while supplementing with forage (again, slowly), then half a handful (I have a little scoop, so it was about a scoop). Now there's two they're on half a scoop each in summer, a whole scoop each in winter when there's less forage. My scoop is about 25g-worth :)

There's lots of really useful info out there, but take anything on websites for food brands with care! Independent sites like the one in joey&boo's post are excellent :)

Back