• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-homing advice

Vladdy

New Kit
Hello all,

I don't have rabbits but know of someone who does and I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice please?

I have convinced the person who owns the rabbits to have them re-homed as they have admitted that they no longer want them and they are clearly not looking after them properly (I don't think they are given hay and their hutches are a bit stinky). Also the rabbits are quite often found wandering by the side of a main(ish) road due to them being allowed to escape from the garden. The first time I found the rabbits outside I had to go door knocking to find out where they lived. It was after this latest episode that I managed to express my deep concern for the welfare of the rabbits and I was asked if I could help them to be re-homed. I do wonder whether the rabbits have been allowed to roam in the hopes that they don't come back. :(

I have been looking at re-homing websites but they all seem to be clear that most are pretty much full up and there is a waiting list. I considered taking them in but I rescued 2 guinea pigs a couple of years ago and, along with my 2 dogs and 100 tropical fish, my home is like a small zoo! ;)

Does anyone know of anywhere in West Yorkshire that I should try? They are small rabbits but not those tiny dwarf ones (I don't think).

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can give. :)

Im much farther away down south but hope you find somewhere for those poor bunnies to go....... hopefully someone local to you might know of somewhere

I'm not sure about West Yorkshire. Hopefully someone can suggest somewhere nearer, you could try Barnsley Animal Rescue, they have a lot of rabbits and its a great rescue, they're often full though. They may be able to suggest somewhere for you. I'm glad you are trying to help them :thumb:

Thank you all. I shall try to contact Barnsley Animal Rescue and will also keep checking in here.

Are rabbit personalities similar to guinea pigs? The rescue guinea pig that is still with us is approaching her 9th year and she is VERY cantankerous. I like animals with feisty personalities (luckily lol). :roll:

I absolutely love piggies (and would love some again when I find some in rescue close enough) but I'll be honest, bunnies have much more of cheeky/curious personality. Yes they can indeed be feisty and rather headstrong. They do require a lot of time and a LOT of space. They're very rewarding pets though.

Have you ever thought of bonding your old piggie? They really do so appreciate company, even in their older years :love:

I did think about getting another one but to be brutally honest we didn't want more animals. I am glad I took them both in though as they are funny when they're cranky (and Spud is VERY cranky and intentionally naughty) and I love her loads. We always seem to end up being the ones who take needy pets in (we rescued a fish from someone a couple of years ago and ended up having to buy 4 more of the same species so it'd would have company as well as a 4 ft tank to house them in. Too soft!

Also Spud seems to be extremely happy on her own - her personality changed beyond measure when Rhino died. I don't think they particularly liked each other. :D Getting another also starts the vicious circle of replacing when one goes and it never ends. Of course if she'd have been sad etc when Rhino died I would have tried to bond her with another immediately. No matter what our feelings we always put animals first (even if it puts us out). Far too soft! :lol:

I have sent a few emails off to some rescue centres today and am just waiting to hear back for advice.

Today I have been on and off thinking about taking them myself but with 2 dogs I don't know how the housing arrangement would work. I have been reading that they need lots of space and the initial set up looks to be VERY expensive.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input so far. I shall update as and when I hear back from anyone. :)

Hope you hear back soon.

We have two dogs also, which works fine, but obviously would need thinking about.

We have our rabbit trio outside, but our dogs don't use the garden, we walk them 5/6 times a day. Our rescued bun is currently living in my dd's bedroom, but the dogs aren't allowed upstairs (we have a stair gate). But she will be moving outside soon, to give her more space. Ideally the more space the better for rabbits.

We are in the process of upgrading everything and we are finding it expensive, if I'm honest x

Well it's not looking good for the bunnies I'm afraid. Got a couple of replies saying they can't take them and heard nothing from the others. Will have to try places further afield. :(

You could try putting up 'new home needed' notices at nearby vets or pet / equine supply shops. Pets at Home also take on 'rescues' for rehoming. None of these will do any sort of homecheck, though - so you don't know where they will end up.

Well it's not looking good for the bunnies I'm afraid. Got a couple of replies saying they can't take them and heard nothing from the others. Will have to try places further afield. :(

Oh dear, how long are you able to hang on to them for before it becomes a problem?

If you let me know which area you want to try next, I'm happy to do a bit of googling for rescues. It would be great if there was someone on here who had space.

Shimmer has given some good suggestions you could try. But obviously without a home check, you can't be too sure.

We have just yesterday taken on two more buns, taking our total to six. They have obviously been well loved and we are going to keep in touch with the previous owners x

I just told the owners that I was waiting to hear back from some places. They are still doing the best they feel they can but they did say that the bunnies had got out again recently and they had to go and find them.

If the initial set up was cheaper or I wanted to keep having bunnies forever then I would just take them. They would probably be as spoiled as my rescue guinea pig. :D

Aw, it's tempting to want to take them, isn't it! Having rabbits obviously isn't cheap, I'm finding that it's best to do things in stages, Rome wasn't build in a day and all that. With our rabbits accommodation we know where we want to get to and over the coming weeks and as funds allow we will work towards it.

On a basic level they should be at least ensuring that they can't escape, they might not be so lucky next time x

I've been approached by the owners again asking if I'd heard anything. No-one I have emailed seems to be able to take them so I am going to try to post on here to see if I get better luck.

Thank you all again for your help. :)

Back