• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chronic nasal issues

I wanted to apologize, for the late reply. I wanted to give one of my other rabbits Gracie had to get her molar trimmed. Then Dusty went into stasis so I have been a little busy.

An update on George, we heard back from Cornell they are not worried about the lung they said it can be caused by how he was laying during the CT scan. So they did not recommend the aspiration. They were concerned about the fluid in his left ear and nostril they felt it was too much for nebulization. They did notice some decay in the right incisor bone, it may or may not be the cause, they suggested just watching it for the time being.

As for the nebulization, we moved on to nebulization with Gentamycin once. He did have some white snot on the Amikacin but it cleared up. This was after a visit to the vet, which normally makes his nose runs.
He seems to get congested in the morning after he sleeps and when he is shedding.

Overall he is in good spirits and eating pretty well and last check his lungs sounds good.

I wanted to apologize, for the late reply. I wanted to give one of my other rabbits Gracie had to get her molar trimmed. Then Dusty went into stasis so I have been a little busy.

An update on George, we heard back from Cornell they are not worried about the lung they said it can be caused by how he was laying during the CT scan. So they did not recommend the aspiration. They were concerned about the fluid in his left ear and nostril they felt it was too much for nebulization. They did notice some decay in the right incisor bone, it may or may not be the cause, they suggested just watching it for the time being.

As for the nebulization, we moved on to nebulization with Gentamycin once. He did have some white snot on the Amikacin but it cleared up. This was after a visit to the vet, which normally makes his nose runs.
He seems to get congested in the morning after he sleeps and when he is shedding.

Overall he is in good spirits and eating pretty well and last check his lungs sounds good.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems with Gracie and Dusty. I hope Dusty is over the stasis now?

I am glad George is in good spirits. That's always immensely important for a rabbit's immune function. Please do keep in touch when you have time. Or rather, when your rabbits decide you have time to contribute :D

Ongoing good luck with them all x

Goodness your Rabbits have been keeping you busy, I hope that Gracie and Dusty are doing OK now.

It sounds as though you have a good Vet on the case for George and the fact that George seems to be in good spirits despite his nose problems is good news. Hopefully it will be a condition that can be managed well longterm, even if it cannot be fully resolved.

Back