• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matted fur

bunnybannanas

Mama Doe
Petra has a little bit of matted fur around her bum. I have grooming wipes and that vet best shampoo. Will they work? She's not had matted fur before so I'm a bit worried! Any tips would be good please

Hi, our big fluff ball Bonny had the same thing the other day. My dd helped me and I held her while she carefully cut them out with some small grooming scissors we have. It was quick and simple. It is really a two person job though.

I guess if you could get the matts out with just wipes, it might be worth a try, but if you needed to use a comb it might pull a bit.

It probably depends on what your rabbit will tolerate. Bonny is really chilled.

I'm no expert though, so others might have different ideas. Good luck x

Thank you. I've booked her in on Saturday for a check up anyways so might leave the rest for them to do. I've tried to wipe her with the grooming wipes but she was wincing a bit and I don't want to hurt her. I deffo couldn't trim her - it's round her bum. I'm going to try the shampoo for the first time and if I can't demat it anymore then I'll leave it for the vet. Thank you though x

Thank you. It is - i tried the wipes last night but she was quite distressed so i left it after a bit. I'm going to try the shampoo tonight though. The vets phoned me before and rearranged my appointment to next Saturday!!

Hi I think if you shampoo her you may make the mats worse. I have a boy who gets a bit of urine scald sometimes, so I check him every day. I keep his bits clipped by using a trimmer I got from Argos, the head of it is only about 1cm across, so it gets in the corners and keeps him clear of fur matted up with wee. I would be careful if she is wincing though, maybe leave it for the vets to get it off. Just make sure she can poo and wee through the mat. If not she may be making the situation worse.

Back