• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stomach Infection

Hello

Hope someone can help. My rabbit has recently been going off nuggets and veg etc. Took her to vets checked her teeth etc said they were ok but said she had stomach infection, so obviously was bit of discomfort in her tummy. Gave us all the meds and the syringe feed. As she hasn't been pooing. Started to get her back to pooing but its gone the other way again. She nibbles bits and pieces but not really eating much. She drinks her water fine. She comes running up to me on morning when let her out of cage as she loves me giving her a treat. She goes to eat couple of nuggets then looses interest. Can anyone help? I don't want to take her to the vets as it stresses her out too much.

I'm sorry she's unwell.

Is it possible to give up names and doses of the medications she's on?

Is she on pain relief?

Hi Sorry I am at work I know she didn't get pain relief, they gave us fibreplex, the recovery food, and two others. One of them we had to give an hour after the fibreplex and another one. The meds have all been used up now so don't know what to do. She comes running up to me on a morning and will quite happily eat treats

Hopefully someone else will be along soon to give their advice also but personally I'd take her back to the vets.

I'd ask for pain relief as a bun in pain/discomfort won't want to eat.
I'd ask for more recovery food & more fiberplex.
When they have a listen for gut sounds, if they're very quiet I'd expect gut stimulants.

At the very least I'd advise a call to the vets.

Try foods to tempt her to eat - herbs & fresh grass tend to go down well normally. I know some people on here also use baby food to encourage eating.

Hope someone will come along soon to add/make different suggestions.

Hello

Thanks for that. She nibbles grass in the garden, she will run at your for sweet things like banana, egg biscuits, but obviously cannot have her living off that. I mite try baby food, is it any kind that they will eat?

Hello

Hope someone can help. My rabbit has recently been going off nuggets and veg etc. Took her to vets checked her teeth etc said they were ok but said she had stomach infection, so obviously was bit of discomfort in her tummy. Gave us all the meds and the syringe feed. As she hasn't been pooing. Started to get her back to pooing but its gone the other way again. She nibbles bits and pieces but not really eating much. She drinks her water fine. She comes running up to me on morning when let her out of cage as she loves me giving her a treat. She goes to eat couple of nuggets then looses interest. Can anyone help? I don't want to take her to the vets as it stresses her out too much.

I think that if your Rabbit has deteriorated again and is still not eating much she does need to be seen by a Vet again. I realise this may be stressful for her, but it really is important that she receives ongoing treatment from a Vet given that the treatment provided thus far has not resulted in a full recovery.

This link provides information about Rabbit gastrointestinal problems and it's treatment

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

There are quite a few possible causes for GI stasis in Rabbits and identifying a cause and treating it is far more likely to result in a good outcome in the longterm.

Hello

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit, Wendy. It's very worrying, isn't it?

You should really ring your vet, if you're reluctant to take her back. She would need at the very least a continuation of the meds that were helping her in the first place.

Although your vet said the teeth were OK, vets can only see about 50% into a rabbit's mouth. If your vet is unable to perform 'conscious dentals', then a good look in the mouth (and any remedial action necessary) will have to be done under anaesthetic. You would want her to be a good and healthy weight before this takes place, if it has to.

You will also need to syringe feed her. I use baby food and ground up pellets (or recovery food). Ella's Kitchen baby food is excellent.

You can also give her Infacol - an infant gas remedy - and gentle tummy rubs.

See here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Lots of luck, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Back