• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I care for bun with severe head tilt? U/D: My beautiful girl is gone.

We're trying to pull through. The vet said that if no improvement was made by today, we need to think about what happens next.

She's had broken up pieces of fenugreek crunchies this morning, and she's trying to clean herself.

In my current mental state, and with all the medicines she's having, I forgot about Fibreplex - I usually have that at home. I've sent OH to get a tube. I need her to want more food - she has moments when she absolutely inhales fresh food (20 small pieces of Springgreens yesterday, and a good number of her favourite flower this morning), but otherwise she isn't much interested in eating by herself. I want to see if the Fibreplex will help with this - plus, I'm dreading having to syringe feed critical care, which she hates, by myself when OH goes to work this evening/night. Plus, I hate having to bother her with food all the time - she needs her rest.

I was thinking - could I make the feed with a small part of organic apple juice instead of only water? Maybe that would make it tastier?

And, we just had this great idea of helping her rest in a more comfortable way: I have one of those squishy travel pillows that goes around the neck - she's now snoozing in that.

I'm plonked out on the floor next to her, a sight for sore eyes. Unwashed hair, I've been owed on, I have been pooed on, my clothes have critical care here and there... If anyone rings the door bell, they'll be greeted by a mad-woman...

I feel that if we can only get her to feel more hungry, and eat by herself, we have a much better chance of a happy outcome xx

Yes, I would definitely use the organic apple juice to make up her feed. Personally, I would tempt her with whatever you can, just to get her eating. I find banana always seems to go down well with poorly bunnies - I know it's sugary, but I really wouldn't worry at this stage. Bless your beautiful girl, I am sending her trillions of healing vibes and very gentle nose rubs. I know what you mean about having critical care down your clothing - I've been there too and looked like a man woman, covered in green paste!

Aww she sounds like she is trying really hard, with periods of good appetite & trying to clean herself too :love: I think my bunny pretty much survived on fresh stuff in the early days. The pillow sounds like a great idea. My local vet gave up on my bunny far too soon (so I didn't return), I think yours is maybe expecting too much too soon? Of course it is all dependent on how you are all coping - in my eyes that is really well

Thank you lovely people, all the warm comments and advice is helping us through this. I've taken unpaid time off work to look after her, and whilst I know some may find my behaviour eccentric ("it's only a pet"), I find strength in that RU:ers understand that whilst she may be "only a pet", she's a *much loved* pet who is an important part of our family ❤️ We don't have children, so our buns is as close as we'll ever come to that.

Sorry this will be another rushed reply and forgive me if you have already said, but have you asked the Vet about giving a corticosteroid instead of Metacam and also an injectable Penicillin aswell as or instead of Baytril ? If in the 'last chance saloon' it may be worth the risks ??

Poor little bun... It's so distressing to watch - I can't imagine what goes through their little heads, it must be so confusing. I'm trying to teach her that it's ok to rest/sleep on her side - she panicks a bit.

How is she doing today BB? x

Thank you lovely people, all the warm comments and advice is helping us through this. I've taken unpaid time off work to look after her, and whilst I know some may find my behaviour eccentric ("it's only a pet"), I find strength in that RU:ers understand that whilst she may be "only a pet", she's a *much loved* pet who is an important part of our family ❤️ We don't have children, so our buns is as close as we'll ever come to that.

I don't have children either, so totally understand where you are coming from - my bun is my 'baby'!! I've taken sick days and all sorts of time off from work when he has been ill. Keep doing what you're doing - she may have a long road to recovery, but I am sure that with her fighting spirit and your love and care she will get there. xxx

Aww she sounds like she is trying really hard, with periods of good appetite & trying to clean herself too :love: I think my bunny pretty much survived on fresh stuff in the early days. The pillow sounds like a great idea. My local vet gave up on my bunny far too soon (so I didn't return), I think yours is maybe expecting too much too soon? Of course it is all dependent on how you are all coping - in my eyes that is really well

Exactly this happened to me - unfortunately when Sweep became poorly it was OOH and I had a couple of follow up appointments with the vet hospital as they were the one who had him for 5 days. I remember one time I was really happy with his progress as he had started to eat more and drink out of the bottle, took him in and she was so focused on the fact he has lost 100g and was 'deteriorating', she didn't even seem to listen to what I was saying re his improvement. Of course he lost weight he was seriously ill and not eating! She wanted to PTS and so I got enough medication to last and didn't bother going back for any follow up visits after that. Of course Sweep continued to improve, put the weight back on and is still going strong 3 years later.

More vibes being sent

Sorry this will be another rushed reply and forgive me if you have already said, but have you asked the Vet about giving a corticosteroid instead of Metacam and also an injectable Penicillin aswell as or instead of Baytril ? If in the 'last chance saloon' it may be worth the risks ??

Hi Jane,

Not yet - I want to try fibreplex first. If that doesn't work and I see no improvement, I'll bring up your suggestion. She's had fibreplex before when she's been poorly and it has helped.

We'll see closer to the evening.

She just ate 4 small pellets ����

Could you try crushing the pellets up. I know when Morse's ear problems flared up he found it more painful to crunch up pellets. He did not really like them served soaked in boiled water, but he would eat them if they were crushed up and dry. Crushing the pellets also releases the smell of them more, which can make them seem more appetising. I used to sprinkle a pinch of dried fenugreek onto the crushed pellets too, which added to their aroma and Morse seemed to be even more keen to eat them then xx

Could you try crushing the pellets up. I know when Morse's ear problems flared up he found it more painful to crunch up pellets. He did not really like them served soaked in boiled water, but he would eat them if they were crushed up and dry. Crushing the pellets also releases the smell of them more, which can make them seem more appetising. I used to sprinkle a pinch of dried fenugreek onto the crushed pellets too, which added to their aroma and Morse seemed to be even more keen to eat them then xx

That's a great idea, thanks! Just served in my hand of a bowl?

(And I think the hearts at the end of my post may have come up as question marks - apologies! I was trying to show happiness).

That travel pillow is a great idea - it looks really supportive. Oh bless her, I am literally 'willing' her to get better! It's good that she has eaten four pellets, it's a start. Sending more vibes for her and of course supportive hugs to you. xxx

Here's Cookie sleeping in my travel pillow, with her leg stretched out

Awwww bless her :love:

I'd just place a tiny bit of crushed pellets on the bedding near her mouth. The vestibular symptoms may make her reluctant to eat from a bowl and if you offer the crushed pellets from your hand she may feel that she's being forced to eat. If they are left where she can certainly smell them and easily reach them she may decide to try.

It's worked out really well - she's getting better rest, which means I get better rest, and it shapes itself around her. Just make sure not to leave bun alone in it if you try it - just in case. (If bun is ill and can't move around easily, anyway)

Back