• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried corn on the cob

Kipper

Mama Doe
My Mrs bought our buns a box of 10 dried corn on the cob. I don't want to risk a blockage by feeding them to the buns. Are there any animals who can safely eat them? If so I will donate them to the NAWT.

Small rodents would like them (mice, rats, gerbils, chipmunks, etc). Or hang them out for the birds?

Thanks everyone. I will take them down to the NAWT & donate them for the rodents but will also put a message on the box advising them not to give to buns. I take it guinea pigs can't have them?

Thanks everyone. I will take them down to the NAWT & donate them for the rodents but will also put a message on the box advising them not to give to buns. I take it guinea pigs can't have them?

no I don't think they are good for guinea pigs with same reasons as rabbits

My rabbits love dried corn on the cob. I didn't realise they weren't supposed to have it. If they have eaten before with no problem is it okay to continue feeding it to them as a treat or should I stop?

My rabbits love dried corn on the cob. I didn't realise they weren't supposed to have it. If they have eaten before with no problem is it okay to continue feeding it to them as a treat or should I stop?
I wouldn't feed it to them anymore, just because they've not had a problem with it before doesn't mean the same can be said for the future.

I think Britons have a different opinion on this but dried corn isnt good for rats what I've heard due to toxic fungus that can be harbored in the corn. Maybe that fungus doesn't exist in the UK or something, I dunno.

There's also speculation of dried corn causing cancer in other rodents.

I'd feed them to wild squirrels, ours love it. I don't know if you have any visit your yard though?

Thanks for the explanation. I'll avoid in future. We don't tend to get squirrels in our garden, but my parents have a regular red squirrel visitor so I'll pass the rest along to them.

I think Britons have a different opinion on this but dried corn isnt good for rats what I've heard due to toxic fungus that can be harbored in the corn. Maybe that fungus doesn't exist in the UK or something, I dunno.

I'd feed them to wild squirrels, ours love it. I don't know if you have any visit your yard though?

No, we don't have the fungus here in the UK. Apparently we store our corn differently so there's no risk of the fungus growing.

I don't think there is anything substantial about the cancer causing stuff either.

In the US animal feed isn't monitored for mycotoxins. In the UK it is. That's why there's a difference.

Back