• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BAYTRIL (AKA Devil Drug)

supersonic

Mama Doe
HOW DO I GET THIS INTO MY BLOODY RABBIT?!

Sonic's been prescribed some after he got saliva burn under his chin and it got a bit gammy. We started the course on Wednesday evening, when he was hours out of anaesthetic, but he's got harder and harder to give it to, then tonight he bit my sister.
He's never bitten anyone before, now she's really upset he won't trust her again. It wasn't a full on bite, but enough to put her off giving him drugs.

We tried mixing it with apple juice, I'm going to try put it on something he likes, but I just don't think I'll be able to get him to finish the course. My mum's a nurse, and I always remember her telling me how you must finish your course of antibiotics, no matter how good you feel, but I'm starting to feel really guilty, I don't want to get up early to torture my poor boy who's already had a rough fortnight!

WWRUD? (What Would RU Do)

13494758_997333540386260_3262018488041231205_n.jpg

With Crash Bunny i used the above baby food. It worked wonders.. he loves it..

At first i offered it as a treat, on its own on a spoon... then in the syringe patiently until he would take from a syringe happily by himself little by little...

Then i added the medicine to the treat, in a egg cup or something mixed it up well, mostly carrot/parnsip to hide the medicine taste, into a paste and then tried again...I was very patient and little by little.

Make sure the syringe is clean of the medicine on the outside so he cant smell it...

Crash Bunny takes all meds like that and he comes running, up on his back paws standing up for his treat, its so stress free and easy. Training him to take meds like that is so much easier and quicker too.

You could mush down your own carrots with some water, or another treat veg he enjoys, even a little banana but use it quickly.

Last edited:
13494758_997333540386260_3262018488041231205_n.jpg

With Crash Bunny i used the above baby food. It worked wonders.. he loves it..

At first i offered it as a treat, on its own on a spoon... then in the syringe patiently until he would take from a syringe happily by himself little by little...

Then i added the medicine to the treat, in a egg cup or something mixed it up well, mostly carrot/parnsip to hide the medicine taste, into a paste and then tried again...I was very patient and little by little.

Make sure the syringe is clean of the medicine on the outside so he cant smell it...

Crash Bunny takes all meds like that and he comes running, up on his back paws standing up for his treat, its so stress free and easy. Training him to take meds like that is so much easier and quicker too.

You could mush down your own carrots with some water, or another treat veg he enjoys, even a little banana but use it quickly.

Good advice.
I have received the 'warning' bite in the past when trying to give meds. Years ago I gave injectible baytril which can burn the skin (better to give in muscle per my vet). Nowdays I do oral batril quickly and offer them one of their favorite foods once they get the Baytril down.

Have you tried a small piece of spring greens/lettuce sprinkle some oats and add the Baytril. The oats soak up the Baytril and hopefully bunny will eat it all up. Good luck!

http://therabbitvet.com/webinar

Hi - there is a very good webinar on here of idea methods for meds - also my bunny is on long term Baytril and I give hers on a Feeugreek treat - just syringe the dose onto the treat and wait for it to soak in -

Hope this helps

Tried mixing it with apple juice this morning... nope! He took a bit of it then realised and gave me the 'you have betrayed me' look. Will grab some baby food today. He does love banana so I'll try that. I'm just worried that I'm giving him too much sugar at the moment, although he has lost a bit of weight so I've just kinda been giving him anything he wants!

For the oats can I just use porridge oats? I would never have thought about giving him those!

With the bunnies I've used Baytril on, I've always found the mushing into banana works. However, it always seemed to take forever for them to eat it. And sometimes, the ratio would be wrong and I'd get that look of horror/betrayal.

Septrim is such an easier antibiotic to give. :lol:

Ha I used to mush up banana and cover the end of the syringe in it. By the time he realised what was going on I usually had it all in his mouth - he was only a few months old then though! x

Thank you Shayne! I've sourced some Ella's Kitchen baby food, so I'll try that tonight. I think he's a bit stroppy about being syringe fed, so I might just try give it to him with a spoon or let him lick it out of the pot. He's so clever though, I honestly think it's a losing battle!

A spoon is a great idea! Good luck!! Try offering it without any medicine in first so he gets fooled. ;)

I am currently having a similar issue with Cassie. I tried hiding the full dose in banana (which she loves) but no chance, so I tried blackcurrant mixture and other foods.

I have now figured if I give her little drops in a "mouth size" piece of banana she puts it all in her mouth and eats it. A bit time consuming but our alternative is injections which we will have to revert to if she turns her nose up again.

I am currently having a similar issue with Cassie. I tried hiding the full dose in banana (which she loves) but no chance, so I tried blackcurrant mixture and other foods.

I have now figured if I give her little drops in a "mouth size" piece of banana she puts it all in her mouth and eats it. A bit time consuming but our alternative is injections which we will have to revert to if she turns her nose up again.

I'll let you know if I manage to outwit Sonic and pass on some tips! I tried a little bit of bread today with the Baytril injected in then soaked in apple juice... he ate until he tasted the Baytril and gave me the bunny death stare :roll:

Ok, we've had minor success with some brown bread with antibiotic x baby food spread on it. He's had about half so far, will leave it with him for a while. I don't want to keep giving him bread (although he does need to put a bitta weight back on), so I might try to put it on some other veg tomorrow and work out another way. I tasted the mix (curiosity got the better of me!) and it does still have that awful aftertaste :(

I had this with Lopsy: he won't even take Metacam off a syringe (or half the time a spoon) because he's a suspicious little toerag... BUT he will take fenugreek crunchies! I load them up with the next dose of Baytril (I choose the 'dishiest'-looking ones, the Rosewood ones) and leave them for however long, 8hrs or whatever, to soak in and he just wolfs them down! Have to separate the poor kid because otherwise Aboleth will try and eat his (she drops hers and runs after him :evil: he usually finds hers later ;P) but he doesn't seem to mind being separated for treats :lol: It's not ideal but it does work for him!

I hope he doesn't get too used to all this 'nana. He's only got 2 doses of Baytril left (hurrah!) so a few more slices won't hurt him. At least it's better than bread! He hasn't had painkillers for over 48 hours now, so I think he's in the clear :) I just can't wait until I can stop torturing the poor boy with drugs!

Back