• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

f10 spray

snowball7

New Kit
hi everyone i'm new to this forum i've got two female rabbits snowball and hazel there ten months old and adorable.i'm worried about flystrike so i bought f10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide i read on one of the forums that its better than rearguard in preventing flystrike but am not sure of how to put it on my girls any advice would be great thanks

The most important thing is good animal hygiene: making sure their hutch, run and bedding is all kept scrupulously clean, and checking their bottoms regularly. You'll find various threads on here where people really don't like to use either of those products.

hi everyone i'm new to this forum i've got two female rabbits snowball and hazel there ten months old and adorable.i'm worried about flystrike so i bought f10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide i read on one of the forums that its better than rearguard in preventing flystrike but am not sure of how to put it on my girls any advice would be great thanks

Welcome to the Forum Snowball :wave:

I would never use rearguard or F10. Rearguard has been linked with rabbit deaths, and F10 has caused such severe scalding of the skin the problems it caused have been worse than anything it purports to cure.

Why not check them over every day, and keep them clean instead of spraying them with harmful chemicals?

There should be minimal risk of flystrike in an active, healthy rabbit. Keep their living area clean so that flies are not attracted there eg spot clean the toilet areas daily, full clean out weekly. Check the individual rabbit over twice a day, mainly round the bum. There should be no poo attached to them - this will attract flies and indicates that other action is needed - check for things like a better diet, more hay / fewer pellets, not overweight, able to groom properly (teeth OK, arthritis), etc.

Flystrike is an awful condition and very difficult to deal with effectively once the fly eggs have hatched. The rabbit may die from shock, even if all maggots have been removed.

Fly eggs should be removed immediately if found. They can hatch in a couple of hours in warm weather. This is where products like F10 come in. Spray the affected area with a few squirts as per the instructions - after the visible eggs have been removed. F10 can stop the eggs developing or kill the larvae. For an at-risk rabbit, it can be used as a protective measure before exposure to flies. A normal, healthy rabbit should not need routine chemical protection.

http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-treatment-products.html

F10 is toxic to cats - so make sure they have no contact with areas that may have been contaminated.

There should be minimal risk of flystrike in an active, healthy rabbit. Keep their living area clean so that flies are not attracted there eg spot clean the toilet areas daily, full clean out weekly. Check the individual rabbit over twice a day, mainly round the bum. There should be no poo attached to them - this will attract flies and indicates that other action is needed - check for things like a better diet, more hay / fewer pellets, not overweight, able to groom properly (teeth OK, arthritis), etc.

Flystrike is an awful condition and very difficult to deal with effectively once the fly eggs have hatched. The rabbit may die from shock, even if all maggots have been removed.

Fly eggs should be removed immediately if found. They can hatch in a couple of hours in warm weather. This is where products like F10 come in. Spray the affected area with a few squirts as per the instructions - after the visible eggs have been removed. F10 can stop the eggs developing or kill the larvae. For an at-risk rabbit, it can be used as a protective measure before exposure to flies. A normal, healthy rabbit should not need routine chemical protection.

http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-treatment-products.html

F10 is toxic to cats - so make sure they have no contact with areas that may have been contaminated.

Shimmer has given you very good advice. Personally I do not use F10 or Rearguard as a matter of routine and I also do full clean outs daily (but I am a tad OCD about hygiene :oops:) It is up TO the the individual as to whether they use F10/Rearguard or not, having weighed up risks versus benefits and after discussion about it all with a trusted Rabbit savvy Vet. The RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund) recommend Rearguard use for Rabbits considered to be at 'high risk'.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Additional measures you could take aswell as those Shimmer has mentioned is the use of fly netting over all accommodation, Fly Strips, Electronic Fly Zappers, Citronella etc.

I don't use either and instead keep OCD with the cleanliness, always litter trained into litter pans too which makes it much much easier. In the past a few years ago I used Reargaurd and my old bun Darcie had a really bad reaction, I was advised to use it even though he was an indoor rabbit, clean and low risk.. Ive never had a bunny get flystrike and kept buns for... 20years, indoor and out. If you do use it keep a good eye on the underside and check for any reactions.

Shayne_;6793065[B said:
]I don't use either and instead keep OCD with the cleanliness,[/B] always litter trained into litter pans too which makes it much much easier. In the past a few years ago I used Reargaurd and my old bun Darcie had a really bad reaction, I was advised to use it even though he was an indoor rabbit, clean and low risk.. Ive never had a bunny get flystrike and kept buns for... 20years, indoor and out. If you do use it keep a good eye on the underside and check for any reactions.

Yeah, I agree with this :thumb:

Back