• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet mouth after stasis - Almost better!

supersonic

Mama Doe
I've just got back from uni after Sonic had a bad bout of stasis this past week. He has had a wet chin from the force feeding, but I've got back and given him a good look over and he has a bald patch under his chin to one side and the surrounding fur is quite damp. At points it looks a bit red, but otherwise healthy and he let me have a good poke at it.

The vet checked him over last Monday, said his teeth were fine, so that's not the reason for the dribbling, I think it could just be a bit irritated.

Do you suggest I wash his chin for him? I've heard different things about baby shampoo, so what do you think? Maybe an anti fungal cream?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Other than the dodgy chin, he's almost as bright as he was before the stasis, he's eating and pooing plenty :)

Last edited:
I've just got back from uni after Sonic had a bad bout of stasis this past week. He has had a wet chin from the force feeding, but I've got back and given him a good look over and he has a bald patch under his chin to one side and the surrounding fur is quite damp. At points it looks a bit red, but otherwise healthy and he let me have a good poke at it.

The vet checked him over last Monday, said his teeth were fine, so that's not the reason for the dribbling, I think it could just be a bit irritated.

Do you suggest I wash his chin for him? I've heard different things about baby shampoo, so what do you think? Maybe an anti fungal cream?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Other than the dodgy chin, he's almost as bright as he was before the stasis, he's eating and pooing plenty :)

It must be lovely for you to see Sonic again :love:

Regarding the wet chin, firstly just because the vet doesn't see anything wrong with the teeth, doesn't mean there isn't an issue. As you probably know, vets can only see about 50% of a rabbit's cheek teeth, unless they are able to do a 'conscious dental'. In that case they can see everything.

The other reason could be a wet/bald patch from all the syringe feeding.

I wouldn't use anything but cooled boiled water to wash the area, and maybe clip the fur if he will let you. Keep it dry and let things heal up.

I would gently bathe his chin with cooled boiled water and then carefully pat it dry using kitchen towel. If the skin is broken, very inflamed or if there is an unpleasant odour from the area you will need to consult the Vet again. Bacterial or fungal infections can occur due to the chin being constantly wet.

If it is drooling which is causing the dampness then that is abnormal and does merit another consultation with the Vet. If, however, his chin remains dry once you have cleaned him up and the skin is all OK then it probably was all the syringe feeding that caused the problem.

I'd suggest observing him as he eats and see if he appears to be eating very slowly, favouring one side of his mouth, dropping food etc. All could indicate that there are some dental issues which may not be severe and may not be possible to see whilst he is awake. Cheek retractors and a tongue depressor are needed to enable the Vet to obtain a full and accurate view of all of the oral cavity. Obviously it's impossible to use cheek retractors or a tongue depressor on a Rabbit whilst they are awake.

Thank you for your advice! Mum did say that he got a little sticky from the syringe feeding, so it may be from that. I might try trim the fur tonight and will bathe it with cooled boiled water, thank you so much!

Thank you for your advice! Mum did say that he got a little sticky from the syringe feeding, so it may be from that. I might try trim the fur tonight and will bathe it with cooled boiled water, thank you so much!

Very welcome :thumb:

I do find they can struggle to get to that little spot just underneath the chin :)

He's sat next to me as I type this right now! I've had him out free ranging to observe the past hour and a half. If I didn't know he'd been ill I'd never have guessed! (He's just given me a nibble because I stopped stroking him to type!)
He's been eating the whole time he's been out, at normal speed and chewing on both sides. He's had a trim and a face wash so we'll carry on with that and keep watching him eat.

The neighbours just came out to say how good he was looking... They said they were very worried!

I'm so pleased with his progress, so happy he's almost normal!

He's sat next to me as I type this right now! I've had him out free ranging to observe the past hour and a half. If I didn't know he'd been ill I'd never have guessed! (He's just given me a nibble because I stopped stroking him to type!)
He's been eating the whole time he's been out, at normal speed and chewing on both sides. He's had a trim and a face wash so we'll carry on with that and keep watching him eat.

The neighbours just came out to say how good he was looking... They said they were very worried!

I'm so pleased with his progress, so happy he's almost normal!

Aah how lovely :love: Yes, he certainly sounds like he's picked up no end.
Hope he continues to nibble and be his naughty self :D

He's had about 2 hours running around now, I've just tucked him up for the night. Within a minute he had eaten hay, drunk water and crunched a few pellets, then off for a poo - his usual routine! I will definitely be spending a whole lot of time with him (not to mention the new piggies who are absolutely hilarious, will get some pics soon). I just hope it's not his teeth, but to be honest it's looking hopeful!

Every time I look out at him he's stuffing his face... he looks up at me as if to say "Well, you wanted me to eat!"

His chin isn't any worse this morning. I'll carry one with the face wash for a while, but hopefully it should clear up soon enough :)

You were right, I was wrong! He hasn't been himself today, and it's definitely drool. He wasn't sitting in his usual spot, not eating any pellets and looked a bit lacklustre. We've given him a dose of painkiller, he's scoffed grass and is now sat in the right spot.
He's booked in to the vets for 10:30am tomorrow.

You were right, I was wrong! He hasn't been himself today, and it's definitely drool. He wasn't sitting in his usual spot, not eating any pellets and looked a bit lacklustre. We've given him a dose of painkiller, he's scoffed grass and is now sat in the right spot.

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :(

Will he have sedation to see his teeth, or just a check up?

I'm very lucky having access to two vets who will do the controversial 'conscious dental'. It's obviously uncomfortable for the rabbit for the minute or so it's happening, but a great boon for my elderlies and those with health concerns. Everything just gets done in a consultation and we are home and they are eating straight away.

I really hope you can get it sorted tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you xx

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :(

Will he have sedation to see his teeth, or just a check up?

I'm very lucky having access to two vets who will do the controversial 'conscious dental'. It's obviously uncomfortable for the rabbit for the minute or so it's happening, but a great boon for my elderlies and those with health concerns. Everything just gets done in a consultation and we are home and they are eating straight away.

I really hope you can get it sorted tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you xx

I don't really know, I'll just see what happens... Like I said in my other threads, he's otherwise healthy and strong, he's just been knocked back a hell of a lot this past fortnight.
Thank you

Poor lad, I hope the Vet can get him feeling more comfortable. He might have a sharp spur right at the back which is catching on his tongue or cheek.

Topping up the vibes for him x

I don't really know, I'll just see what happens... Like I said in my other threads, he's otherwise healthy and strong, he's just been knocked back a hell of a lot this past fortnight.
Thank you

Oh you're very welcome :D

In a way it's good that you're home to deal with it I suppose. I hope he's strong enough if he needs a GA xx

I'm very glad I'm home! Its horrible, don't get me wrong, but at least I can cuddle him!
He's just had another face wash. He's ****** off about it so he's run to the far end of the garden! The neighbours have some brilliantly massive dandelion leaves that he was eating a few minutes ago so at least he's still voluntarily eating something. He seems fine outside now, just so off in his hutch.

Just offered him some pellets and he grabbed the bowl and threw it away... What a little poo! He's eating hay. I will reckon the painkillers have really kicked in. At least it will keep stasis at bay until we get to the vets tomorrow :)

Back