• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Little Progress - UD: MORE progress!

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I managed to stroke Rivergrace today. :)

The background...
River and her sister Morningstar were adopted from Support Adoption... They had been surrendered, not by P@H as ex-shop stock, but for digging and jumping over a low fence. :shock: They had already been neutered to make them more adoptable but hadn't had any bites for 6 months - until I came along. They were apparently surrendered at 2.5, so they're probably 3.5 by now.

But there's more: we got them home and BOTH sisters started exhibiting fear aggression. They'd bite and grunt and lunge. We couldn't really touch them, and as they'd been spayed, it wasn't hormones.

River and Morning had a serious falling out, I didn't - and don't - know what over, but it happened. I separated them, bonding Morning into my group and adopting Takumi ("Little Bit"), who bonded with River. Thankfully.

Now, since Morning's been in the quad, her fear aggression has calmed down. Yes, she'll still lunge occasionally, and grunt to, but she's a lot better than she was.

River, meanwhile, has always been left to her own devices by necessity. She'll even grunt at food if it lands wrong in her run. Or Little Bit if he surprises her. We can make a fuss of Little Bit but it does nothing to deter River's behaviour.

Today...

There's a big bunch of dandelions growing right in front of River and Takumi's hutch. (A double-storey 6ft attach to a 6x8ft run. Want to make it bigger eventually!)

I was putting hay in their lower hay rack and both River and Takumi came out for a munch. Now, don't get me wrong, River was grunting at me. However, she also let me give her noserubs and stroke along her body whilst she was eating the dandelions. When she'd had enough of me, she turned tail and went straight back inside.

It's not much, but I'll take it. :) A little progress after about 6 months is better than nothing at all.

Last edited:
Great news! I am in a similar situation with Talis so this thread gives me a lot of hope! Hope she continues to mellow xx

Great news! I am in a similar situation with Talis so this thread gives me a lot of hope! Hope she continues to mellow xx
IIRC... Talis isn't spayed yet? Possibly that will mellow her further. My bridge bun Nessarose became a different character overnight when spayed - she calmed immediately. :)

Unfortunately River has been spayed for over 6 months now, so I can't hope that lack of hormones will help her calm. :lol:

Good luck with Talis though! I think time and consistency are key for poor untrusting rabbits.

I just wanted to post another update on my poor sweet Rivergrace...

We've still been doing everything on River's terms. No handling (not even butt checks), just the odd bit of nose rubs here and there. It started that at breakfast time, she would always want to be given the first bit of food straight in her mouth. She'd periscope right up, ready and waiting to take it. If I was too slow, she'd sometimes even jump over the side of the run. Silly girl. When filling up the bottom hay rack, she'd come out for a nibble of grass in front of the hutch. While eating grass, she'd accept nose rubs quietly. No grumping, no thumping. It got so I could even stroke her ears and along her back.

...and now, I've been able to pick her up. Twice!

She's coming on leaps and bounds with regards to her fear aggression. There definitely seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Great news :thumb: I know just how rewarding it is, I'm having the same results with Pickle, my new Pygmy goat :thumb:

Back