• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Issues! -Stasis, hurt paw, litter habit!

KirstiRobinson

Warren Scout
Hi All,
My bunny Mojo was six last week. On Friday he showed early signs of stasis and we rushed him to the Vets, after a stressful few days he seemed to be over the worst and was acting and behaving almost like his normal self.
Yesterday it was obvious he'd done something to his front paw. Mojo lives in a large two tier hutch but it's actually indoors so he only goes in there at night to sleep or when we aren't around. He's previously had some issues with this particular leg and I presume he's hurt it again coming down the stairs in his house.
We've been given him loxicom and he seems generally bright in himself though reluctant to do much.
The problem I've now got is that Mojo uses his litter tray upstairs and because he can't get up and down there very well, I've taken the stairs out and moved the litter downstairs until the leg heals. However, he categorically refuses to use it and he won't go the toilet anywhere else! He keeps looking for the stairs and coming over me as if to say "what have you done with them woman?" I tried putting them back in last night because I was worried he wasn't relieving himself, he got upstairs ok(ish) but fell down on the way back!
Do you think if I persevere he will eventually realise he's got to go in the tray downstairs? He did seem to go in there a little bit last night, but seems anxious today to get upstairs again so I know he needs to go!
Anyone got any advice or tips? I know the sprained paw will heal and normally
I wouldn't worry so much, but it's because we are only just getting over gut stasis.
Do you think 6 is too old for a bun to go up and down stairs? He's a big rabbit weighing 4Kilos.
Any help would be appreciated! The stress of poorly bunny is too much!!

Hi there. My first rabbit was a big bunny and she had a stairs all her life and suffered gut stasis a lot. It is difficult to change their toilet arrangement but he might get used to it if you keep the downstairs loo topped up with his waste. I now have a medium bunny and small one but the small one currently has a slipped disc and is on hutch rest. I think I will be shutting off their two tier arrangement when he returns to the main hutch. Given there are so many alternatives now I don't think tiering is necessary and I won't be buying another just accessorising with the runaround kit.

I am totally with you on the stress I have never cried so much in my life. Bunnies seem to hate change - hope your bunny adjusts quickly.

Back