• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my mum has fed the hamster rabbit food for 8 days

:shock: my mum has lived at my house minding the buns, dogs and hamster while we have been away and she has fed the hamster rabbit food all week. cant believe how she could do this when there is a big bag with a hamster on it near the rabbits dried forage bags but she has. i know this is a rabbit forum but does any hamster owners know will he suffer any ill effects from this and do i have to gradually change him back to his own foof to prevent diarrhea. He hasnt had any from her changing him to the rabbit food.

I would personally change him back immediately. He's going to be a little deficient in fats and protein from the rabbit food, so the sooner the better. And I don't personally think their guts are as delicate as a rabbit's.

I would personally change him back immediately. He's going to be a little deficient in fats and protein from the rabbit food, so the sooner the better. And I don't personally think their guts are as delicate as a rabbit's.

IME I dont think so either ! My hamsters all seemed to have the constitution of an Ox !!

thankyou both for the advice i will swap him back today. He seems a lot more active to be honest lol.. I did check for any soft poo but nothing at all so you are both spot on with the constitution of an ox comment. Cant really say anything bad about my mum she had to look after 8 buns, 2 labradors (who think they are toddlers) and little simba the hamster, she said it was really hard work and like a full time job with all the exercise shifts throughout the day.

I bet your mum feels really bad about it. Hope Simba appreciates his hamster food now!

Oops :oops: sounds like there's no harm done :). That's quite an undertaking, all those animals! My mum would run a mile if I asked her to look after our three rabbits and two dogs, lol :D x

I agree with the others probably nothing to worry about. Be a good idea to clean out all the stored food though as he's probably squirreled a lot of it away! Hope your mum recovers from her ordeal soon 😂😂

Back