• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behaviour

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

I've got a lion head rabbit, who hates being picked up in anyway. She is now 8 years sold, and has always been like this. It does makes bonding with her difficult. She likes the occasional head rub, and has a little sniff when you are near but that's about it.
Occasionally light nibbles what picked up, against chest or grunted at when go to get from hutch.

My other rabbit, was the direct opposite with snuggles, licks.

Just upsets me, as she has everything she wants.

Sar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds very par for the course to me! None of my rabbits (and I have had quite a lot) have ever liked being handled/cuddled etc.

Think you have been spoiled with your first rabbit - lucky you :wave: Certainly it's nothing you have done, we just have to accept its all on their terms :D

The reason behind biting would depend on the behaviour. If it's when you pick her up then it's because your doing something she doesn't like and not taking the hint that she doesn't like it.

Yeah it's picking up, I pick her up and pull her in tight and secure and she bites, not every time but occasionally then scrambles to get away and generally becomes horrible to work with :(. Makes me so sad at what I've done wrong, where the other bunny was so different. Licking, snuggles etc. What can I do? She won't go into a carrier easy, tried it.

Sar

Some bunnies are just less keen on human contact, its very common for them to dislike being handled and struggle/bite. As a prey species, they prefer to have all four feet on the ground and being lifted and restrained must be unnatural for them! There may be nothing you can do to change her behaviour, as tamsin said doesn't mean she doesn't like you.

One of my bunnies, beano, is coming up to 7 years old and I've had her since a baby. I handled her daily and she used to love a nose rub and strokes, and tolerate handling well when needed. Then she reached sexual maturity and was very aggressive, I have many scars thanks to beano! She calmed down when spayed but remains very difficult to handle and will avoid people. She'll push her head away if I try to stroke her and will give a hard bite if she thinks I'm in her way or have to touch her, I don't love her any less and I think it just adds to her character :lol:

Last edited:
Many rabbits associate carriers with vets, so you need to change the association. I'd suggest putting the carrier in her run all the time so it just becomes a bit of furniture and placing some food in it at regular intervals throughout the day. She'll soon be hopping into the carrier as soon as you show up with the treat and then when you want to move her you just need to turn up with a treat :)

Unfortunately not, and I know how bad that is but I was scared off it with if they don't recover :(

Sar

Awe she is 8 years old now so I'm unsure if you could change her behaviour completely. Does she have a run around your house? I,ve read quite a few articles that recommend bringing aggressive rabbits indoors for short periods. Wether this actually works, I have no idea. I have an aggressive rabbit myself so I do understand how disappointing it is and it is a drain on us emotionally. At the moment my aggressive rabbit gets all the attention and my other 4 get left out a lot of the time but because I'm trying to work on her behaviour, I have no other choice really. My Girl has finally stopped biting and she is lunging less but still growls and grunts. She is only 2 so i am hoping I have time to work with her. Talis isn't spayed and Im not entirely sure that is the problem 100%, she is a rescue rabbit so I believe she has had quite a few homes before hand.
Maybe you could just sit on the floor with her and offer treats and let her come to you? I wish you lots of luck anyway and I hope the situation improves for you both xx

Back