• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur for other rabbit

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone, my female rabbit is being treated for EC at the moment due to Hind Leg weakness, one vet thinks it this other vet thinks it's a spinal injury. So should I be treating my male rabbit aswell if it is EC?

My female rabbit has been on it for 6 days now and seems to be getting worse how long will should it be before I see any improvement?

Hi Everyone, my female rabbit is being treated for EC at the moment due to Hind Leg weakness, one vet thinks it this other vet thinks it's a spinal injury. So should I be treating my male rabbit aswell if it is EC?

My female rabbit has been on it for 6 days now and seems to be getting worse how long will should it be before I see any improvement?

Is your Doe also on Metacam to address any inflammation which is going on, regardless of whether the problem is injury or EC related ?

It is usually advisable to treat all in contact Rabbits with a course of Panacur when one of them has an 'active' EC. Did the Vet explain about the need to minimise the Rabbits ingesting urine contaminated food/bedding as EC can be transmitted via spores excreted in the urine? The Rabbit's environment also needs to be bleach cleaned (10% bleach solution) on days 21 and 28 of Panacur treatment. Any surfaces that cannot be bleach cleaned can be steam cleaned as steam will kill EC spores.

It is advisable to keep the Rabbits off of grassed areas as it's impossible to adequately disinfect grass/soil.

As for how long before you see any improvement, I dont think it's possible to say. It depends on what the actual cause of the hind leg weakness is, what other medication is being given and how each individual Rabbit responds to treatment.

I hope that your Doe shows signs of improvement soon xx

Is your Doe also on Metacam to address any inflammation which is going on, regardless of whether the problem is injury or EC related ?

she is on Loxicom has been on it since I first took her to the vets

It is usually advisable to treat all in contact Rabbits with a course of Panacur when one of them has an 'active' EC. Did the Vet explain about the need to minimise the Rabbits ingesting urine contaminated food/bedding as EC can be transmitted via spores excreted in the urine?

The vet didn't mention any thing about that but I have been making sure as much as possible that blankets/litter tray are cleaned frequently.

The Rabbit's environment also needs to be bleach cleaned (10% bleach solution) on days 21 and 28 of Panacur treatment. Any surfaces that cannot be bleach cleaned can be steam cleaned as steam will kill EC spores.
Yes I will be doing this
It is advisable to keep the Rabbits off of grassed areas as it's impossible to adequately disinfect grass/soil. they don't go on the grass as they live in a dog kennel

As for how long before you see any improvement, I dont think it's possible to say. It depends on what the actual cause of the hind leg weakness is, what other medication is being given and how each individual Rabbit responds to treatment.

Do you think I should get an X-ray done just in case it's some thing broken?

I hope that your Doe shows signs of improvement soon xx

she is now lying on her side a lot more but sometimes will sit on all fours and look like nothing's wrong until she try's to move

Thanks for replying xx

i have put a video of her on Rabbit chat. She is sitting normally in her litter tray then go into her house. Xx

I would discuss the situation with the Vet you have the most confidence in. You could ask about Xrays given that there appears to be an 'In House' differing of opinion as to what the problem is. Of course for Xrays sedation/a GA would be needed in order to obtain accurate views. So that may be something the Vet thinks not to be appropriate at this stage. If a spinal injury is suspected then strict cage rest is almost always part of the treatment. But there are other spinal problems that can cause hind leg weakness.

Thanks Jack's-Jane, I am popping the vets later to collect some more Loxicom so will see who she is booked in with on Thursday xx

Thanks Jack's-Jane, I am popping the vets later to collect some more Loxicom so will see who she is booked in with on Thursday xx

I have posted this on your other thread over in Rabbit Chat :

Poor girlie :cry:

I think you need to get her to a Vet who can give a more definitive diagnosis. If she has a spinal injury then the Vet would almost always advise that the Rabbit is on very strict and confined cage rest. Otherwise there is a real risk of more serious/permanent damage being done. Also, she would benefit from having a completely flat surface to get about on, with no obstacles at all. The base needs to offer good traction too.

I would also advise that you ask the Vet to shave all of your Rabbits fur from her rear end. In her very mobility compromised state she is at extremely high risk of Flystrike

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

I would cover the entire enclosure with Fly Netting, even old net curtains would suffice. Citronella can help to deter flies and obviously so will making sure that the environment is as clean as possible. So removing all soiled bedding, several times a day if necessary. There are some Fly Strike protection treatments that some people use on 'at risk Rabbits'. Personally as yet I have never used them as they are very powerful chemicals which can cause some side effects in a few Rabbits. But whether to use the treatments on not is a personal choice based on one's own opinions/experience and trusted and reliable Veterinary advice.

Your Rabbit's respiratory effort is abnormal and this may simply be stress related, but I would want a Rabbit Savvy Vet to look into that issue too.

Back