• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

soil or compost for growing plantain?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
probably a daft question but which is best for growing plantain in pots, soil or compost? or does it not matter? :wave:

I would go for soil from your garden, or top soil if you buy. As that's what it's growing in naturally I would guess that's going to work best. Once it's established a few bunny poops pushed into the surface of the soil might help it grow extra well :)

I would go for soil from your garden, or top soil if you buy. As that's what it's growing in naturally I would guess that's going to work best. Once it's established a few bunny poops pushed into the surface of the soil might help it grow extra well :)

thank you :D

Compost if from seed :thumb:

Mine is doing really really well, I'll get a pic later :)

This was a few weeks ago :thumb:

13241382_10154264459996742_5896008200395668590_n.jpg

Thanks for a useful thread, I am new to this group so please forgive me id I make mistakes. Please does anyone know how deep a plantain's roots grow? I would like to grow it in guttering on the wall of my house (Similar to Eileen Walsall's 'salad bar' in Foraging and Gardening for Rabbits Facebook Group.) but obviously they won't be happy in this arrangement if they have deep roots.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1615752228674616?view=permalink&id=1701555203427651

Thanks for a useful thread, I am new to this group so please forgive me id I make mistakes. Please does anyone know how deep a plantain's roots grow? I would like to grow it in guttering on the wall of my house (Similar to Eileen Walsall's 'salad bar' in Foraging and Gardening for Rabbits Facebook Group.) but obviously they won't be happy in this arrangement if they have deep roots.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1615752228674616?view=permalink&id=1701555203427651

I have just transferred mine to a deeper trough, I will see how they go :)

Welcome :wave:

My drive is block paved so not that much soil and sandy in the cracks and the plantain is growing wonderfully :roll: In the back in a proper soil border where I have planted it, it's like 'Meh!':(

oh wow, that looks great :D

i noticed a second lot of it growing in our garden yesterday so picked a few leaves for my lot. the piggies seem to love it, and bisc does like it but struggles with the texture of the leaves unfortunately. he does better with the stem though.

i need to get around to ordering some soil and seeds and get started!

I got mine from the hay experts, I did start one tray off straight outside and the other in the greenhouse so one lot is a tiny bit smaller!

I got mine from the hay experts, I did start one tray off straight outside and the other in the greenhouse so one lot is a tiny bit smaller!

i was planning to get them from the hayexperts next order. i'll have to start them outside so i hope it will work!

Back