• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why don't people take advice? or put rabbits first!!!

veexox

New Kit
So on a rabbit buying/selling page on FB I have just written a post for new rabbit owners advising them on correct rabbit care, keeping them in pairs, neutered, vaccinated, good sized hutch/housing/runs how they aren't cheap they need love, attention and to research correctly before buying. I have received abuse about how their rabbits are fine being kept alone they have kept rabbits for 18 years and how do I know they should be kept in pairs, I have sourced information from RSPCA, PDSA, Safeafluff it doesn't matter people won't accept the best care for rabbits and say their rabbit is happy on their own. I'm finding it so frustrating you cite all the information it isn't enough. It's no wonder rabbits are the most neglected pet :(

For some reason, most people don't seem to be able to accept that rabbit care has changed like everything else in the world. The main defence is always "I've done it like this for xyears!". I don't understand it, I want what's best for my animals so I try to keep up to date and make changes when needed.

Theres a very good reason why people on these buying/selling pages dont listen to advise and get abuse and that because the more people are educated the more people realise the Rabbits are high commitments, high maintenance pets that need alot of space and costly vets bills. When people realise this they realise that a rabbit isnt the right pet for them and all the BYB which are abundant on these type of pages are out of pocket :(

I used to work in a rescue and one open day I was accosted by an older lady who was demanding to know why we were 'wasting space' as in pens in the barn we had a single bun and a couple of pens down were some piggies when 'obviously they could just go in together'.

Spent ages politely trying to explain why it was actually a really bad idea to mix the two species but apparently I was talking 'poppycock' as she had been 'keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together for longer than I had been alive' at which point I told her less politely that that was a very old fashioned way of thinking which wasn't relevant anymore. I got huffed at as she stormed off. But I had tried really hard to explain it in a polite and friendly way first!

I once got told I was talking rubbish when I said bunnys need unlimited hay! x

I once got told this by an American breeder on a rat care group. I provided info including websites and even FHB's text book but apparently it's all rubbish and FHB is an animal rights activist who doesn't actually know anything about rabbits but just wants to spread animal rights "lies". Apparently I needed to go buy American books about breeding for the truth but couldn't give me any titles of said books but she was still giving better info than I was :roll:

Back