• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Advice please?

FireRose

Warren Scout
I haven't posted in a while, as last year my rabbit passed away and it was if I'm honest difficult seeing a lot of posts of other peoples bunnies.

Well since then I've rescued a 10month old (approximate age now) female, she was spayed in March, and today we've been to a rescue for her to choose her husbun..

So at the rescue all was well, she picked herself a beautiful bunny, and everything seemed well (they were in a pen together for about 45 mins together, a little bit of chasing/humping which the rescue said was normal, they even washed themselves and ignored each other etc etc.

Rescue said it was good steps, and would hopefully be an easy bond, so we've brought them home - In a carrier together, no problems there, they seemed to snuggle up to each-oither fine.

Now the rescue said to keep them together if they travel home fine, and put them in the neutral territory together - So we did..

our female is normally free roam, so her in a crate (neutral area of a dog crate) wasn't enjoyed by her anyway, but we put the buck in 1st as advised by the rescue, let him have a sniff round etc etc and put her in..

Instant lunging, instant fur pulling by them both, so I pulled her out, and rung to see the next step of advice, was told to put them in carrier for a few mins + let them settle, then put the carrier in the crate so they can come out on their own accord etc.

My female did, she hopped right out, then stood guard of the carrier, she was happy to go to sleep etc and ignore him, but each time he came to venture out, she would lunge at him and fur pull :(

Now I've read a lot up on bonding before we went to adopt, and what I've read so far is let them sniff through bars etc first, then introduce in a small space for a period of time etc.

So with an hour passed of her attacking him each time he came to come out, he stopped trying and just sat in the carrier, he came out and again fur pulling by both, so we've separated, we've left him in the crate, and let her come out as she is free roam.

Have we done the right thing? What's the next step, obviously he has a lot to be getting use to, in both surroundings, new home, new people, let alone a bully of a female lol.

So do we leave him for a couple of day's, letting my female free roam, and then maybe let him out and lock her in another room then try again in neutral grounds? (we have a pen coming which I can put in the garden which neither have been in)

Or do we just keep trying in the crate, I've always read fur pulling isn't a behaviour to allow, we did clapping and saying No, but not to much avail.

I appreciate any feedback/Help x

I'm thinking to leave him in there tonight, her free roam, then tomorrow take them to the garden in neutral space and see how they go, but I'm worried the constant breaking up and separating is breaking the bond each time? How much naughty behaviour is too much? x

It's more difficult if it has been the female which has been free roamingas they are the most territorial of the 2. I always use a big space for bonding and usually the male chases the female for a couple of days, she runs away but by the 2nd or 3rd days things calm down and they start getting used to one another. The space must be neutral to your female. It would have been better if they had stayed at the rescue for a week as now she is back home she is defending her territory. Good luck and hope they settle down together eventually.

Thanks Tonibun, I don't think them staying there was an option :(

So how would I proceed do you think? Small playdates in neutral area's (The garden it's looking to be now that they've fought in the crate so he now has to stay in)

So Would I just let them sniff through the bars, then do small playdates in the garden together for periods of time? x

Back