• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting problems

lenslady

Alpha Buck
Hi there everyone. I recently made a thread in the rabbit chat section about my rabbits fur loss on his head, well luckily new fur is coming through which is silvery blue in colour and feels like velvet, it really is a beautiful colour. This morning i noticed he looks thinner, I am not sure wether it's fur loss or something else. Also since his neuter he has become so moody, I've had a few bites of him. Luckily he is calming down a bit and now letting me groom him. He is eating and toiliting well although he isn't eating as much hay as he usually does.

Can rabbits lose a bit of weight through their moult? or through the summer months? I don't think his neuter has made him feel very good to be honest and I expect his hormones are through the roof. I feel really bad about getting him done now :( Also Bo absolutely hates him! and goes for him through the mesh so I don't think that bond is going to work. Alternative is a 4th female rabbit for Burb? Burn looks like he just wants to make friends but my french lop is very aggressive towards him xx

Hi there everyone. I recently made a thread in the rabbit chat section about my rabbits fur loss on his head, well luckily new fur is coming through which is silvery blue in colour and feels like velvet, it really is a beautiful colour. This morning i noticed he looks thinner, I am not sure wether it's fur loss or something else. Also since his neuter he has become so moody, I've had a few bites of him. Luckily he is calming down a bit and now letting me groom him. He is eating and toiliting well although he isn't eating as much hay as he usually does.

Can rabbits lose a bit of weight through their moult? or through the summer months? I don't think his neuter has made him feel very good to be honest and I expect his hormones are through the roof. I feel really bad about getting him done now :( Also Bo absolutely hates him! and goes for him through the mesh so I don't think that bond is going to work. Alternative is a 4th female rabbit for Burb? Burn looks like he just wants to make friends but my french lop is very aggressive towards him xx

Do you actually weigh him so you can see if he really is losing weight ? It is very difficult to accurately monitor a Rabbit's weight just from how they look.

Could he find it quite stressful to be living close to a Rabbit who appears not to like him and who shows aggression toward him ? That may account for his mood and possible weight loss.

Having him neutered was definitely the right thing to do. Otherwise he would have become very frustrated and of course he would have had to always live alone. Testicular cancer can also occur in un-neutered Bucks.

Do you actually weigh him so you can see if he really is losing weight ? It is very difficult to accurately monitor a Rabbit's weight just from how they look.

Could he find it quite stressful to be living close to a Rabbit who appears not to like him and who shows aggression toward him ? That may account for his mood and possible weight loss.

Having him neutered was definitely the right thing to do. Otherwise he would have become very frustrated and of course he would have had to always live alone. Testicular cancer can also occur in un-neutered Bucks.

It did cross my mind about him feeling threatened from Bo and I am seriously considering having him back indoors as a complete house rabbit again and fully free ranging. He seemed happy when he was a house rabbit. Last time I weighed he was around 12 1b so will get him in and weigh. I will probably have him back in and see how he goes, my head is telling me to have him in. He gets a lot of interaction from me and the kids but something is bugging him i think and its quite possible it is Bo ;( xx

Ive just gone and got him in for a few hours to see how he goes. He instantly perked up. Il try and attempt the scales xx

To be honest, it's likely to be the fur loss you're noticing. Rabbits are often skinny things and it's their fur that makes them look so big!

That said, a moult can put some buns off their food. They go off colour for a few days. Until you've weighed him, before and after, you won't really know.

You absolutely did the right thing getting him neutered. It's early days, hormones take up to 12 weeks to settle. The bond may not work, you're right. Rabbits have such big personalities... especially yours :love:

my bunny is moulting like mad as per usual, she looks a lot smaller and thinner due to her moult, but I weigh her often to check and she is a decent weight, I would suggest if you have any electronic kitchen scales or similar to maybe weigh him once a week and keep a record

Back