• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor boy is dying

The first (rubbish) vet we saw advocated put to sleep. I say this only to warn you its not uncommon to hear this from a less experienced vet. Needless to say we didn't as our bun was still fighting. Keep getting support/ advice here & good luck

I am so sorry to hear your bun is dealing with EC. :(
But I would like to give you hope as my mini lop buck was stricken with head tilt 4 years ago and still is with me today. He is a crooked little old man at over 9 years, but he fought hard to stay with me and although the nursing was grueling (and I have the advantage of being a stay at home mom) I did manage to pull him through with a lot of help from my vet and the folks here. :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?344480-Mimzy-s-Head-Tilt-U-D-for-Oct-4-An-Unexpected-Joy-post-221&highlight=Mimzy+head+tilt

I've located my thread documenting his journey here if you'd like to have a read. But a thought that has occurred to me regarding the metacam; if it hasn't been mentioned yet, this pain reliever also helps the tilting bunny in that it reduces swelling caused by the parasite and also any inner ear inflammation that may be going on (this is what causes the rolling, an affected inner ear mechanism). Yes it is very hard to get a tilting bun to eat, but it can be done. Mimzy did not want hay, only soft foods and sometimes he had very little water intake so I had to administer subcutaneous fluids. I think it took at least four months of intensive nursing before he began to show improvement and then at least another two to get him mobile independently again, but he made it.

Every bun is different though and their individual needs have to be taken into account. I am sending vibes and healing thoughts your way. xxxx

The vet didn't give him any pain relief, I had some so I've dosed him myself. He's had .3 per kg but I gave him it in one dose.

I should lobby your vet for some more pain relief. It really is the best thing at the moment, for the swellings in the brain (if it's EC) and the pain (if it's inner ear infection)

For the fact that it could be inner ear infection, antibiotics are usually prescribed. Baytril won't work as it doesn't penetrate pus and tissue. It's normally an injectable like Depocillin - once daily to begin with then every other day.

Please find yourself a rabbit savvy vet - or at least have a couple others up your sleeve should you need more advice!

You can post another thread in Rabbit Health with the Title:

Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in (your location)

Joey&Boo has given great advice. She's been through the mill with her bunnies, as have I, and come out the other side. We are all with you, whatever your decision :wave:

He's had two more poos, the rest of the bag of greens and a carrot. His heads also looking less tilted.

Unfortunately I have no flexibility in my job so the only way it's going to work is if I can take him into work (a school) and feed him in my breaks but that'll mean a 40 minute trip there and back. I'm by myself with 5 kids so no help or back up.

I'm in Sunderland if anyone can recommend a vet.

I think Tuckerbunnies may be able to advise you as to a vet in Sunderland - I think they use one quite locally to that area.

Just want to send lots of love to your boy. I currently have a head tilt bunny and I know how hard it can be. I can't offer any advice in regards to EC because in our case it was an ear infection but I'm keeping everything crossed that he starts to feel better soon. Stay calm and just do your best :) me and my partner also work full time but we are getting through it so i'm sure you will find a way thay works for you too. Good luck xxxx

There's Jacqui Patterson's in Middlesbrough, which are very good with rabbits, although that may be too much of a treck for you.
Could the vets nurse him whilst you're at work during the week? I know this may be very expensive so I fully understand if this is not an option.

Sending vibes. X

Hi, he's doing really well. He's out on the grass during the day and in the house at night as he's quite weak and docile. Unfortunately his wife won't let him back in their run and tries to attack him so I'm keeping them seperate for now.

He has lost a lot of weight, has developed an eye infection but they're both improving. His poor heads still fairly tilted though and his balance is off. He can't get up onto stuff like he used to. Thanks for all the help.

It is a very long illness but they really can make a full recovery. Keep an eye on the eye (sorry) as it can lead to ulcers - you may need lubricant after the infection is cleared.

Back