Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 7 year old bunny just got put to sleep, fly strike. what now?

Default My 7 year old bunny just got put to sleep, fly strike. what now?

Hi, i could really use some advice. or maybe really I just need to say this somewhere where people will understand how horrific this has been.
    I've had my bunny Pepper since i was 15, she was just about to turn 7. I just had to put her to sleep today. She's had problems with her back leg and cleaning herself since last winter, but after a trial of medication last month, she seemed to be doing so much better. She was skipping about her run every day, even though her leg was still dragging a bit and she was still having trouble cleaning herself. Last night at about 11pm I went to check on her and give her a few dandelion leaves and she was absolutely fine, hopping round and eating and everything. But then this morning I checked on her and she was just collapsed on her side She was breathing shallow and her legs looked filthy. When I looked at them/lifted them up I saw maggots on her. I could actually see them moving on/in her. It was the most upsetting thing I've ever seen. She didn't have a trace of them the night before. I can't believe this happened. I immediately took her to the vet - although I could tell she was dying. She looked in so much pain and so sad. She was put to sleep within ten minutes of the vet looking at her. I can't put into words how horrifying seeing maggots on her was. She's been my little sweet natured, gentle girl since I was 15 I feel so so guilty and can't imagine how much pain she was in. I can't believe it happened, that I let that happen.

i don't really know what to do now. i don't know how to forget that horrible end to such a lovely little girl

she loved nose rubs & dandelion leaves. she didn't hate much at all <3

Warren Scout

Aaw I'm so sorry that this happened, flystrike happens so quickly that there is really not much you can do. She was obviously loved so much, don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault, just remember the lovely 7 years she had with you Xx

i'm so sorry for your loss
    Guinea pig slave to - Lily and Piglet

Rabbits loved and missed - Bisc, Matt, Smudge and Patch
    Guinea pigs loved and missed - Popcorn, Mollie, Benjie, Eddie, Maisie and Chesney

Wise Old Thumper

I am so sorry that this has happened to your beautiful girl Flystrike is horrible.

Alpha Buck

You need to keep everthing super clean to avoid Flystrike. Especially in the summer. In the summer you need to check your rabbits bottom regularly and ideally clean 2x a day.

I also have those sticky fly traps against flies.

Very sorry you lost your rabbit, she was absolutely gorgeous.

So sorry that you lost her. It's a good reminder to us all to keep a close check on our bunnies, hopefully you can take some comfort that in telling her tale you are helping to keep other bunnies safe. Hugs xxx

Fly strike takes hold so fast I've heard from others how distressing it is to see you rabbit with this, I'm truly sorry you experienced it.

Sweet dreams to your beautiful, gentle girl

So sorry this happened . It must have been very distressing for you, try to think of all the good years you had with her x

I'm so sorry that you lost her in such a distressing way

Sleep tightly little one xxx

Banned

I'm so very sorry for your loss