• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aphids on herbs

beckie20

Mama Doe
I usually buy the supermarket pots of herbs to give the buns and have noticed that the mint is covered in aphids, is it still food-worthy?!

My usual rule is that if I wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't give it to my pets and I definitely wouldn't eat something covered in bugs :-/

But logically if the rabbits came across some mint outside they would make it disappear in seconds, aphids or not, right?

It's really odd, they're all over the mint, a few on the basil but nothing on the thyme, coriander or greek basil!

It's unusual to get aphids on herbs. Anyway, you can spray or rinse in soapy water to get rid of them. May need doing a few times over a few days. Washing up liquid is fine.

I usually buy the supermarket pots of herbs to give the buns and have noticed that the mint is covered in aphids, is it still food-worthy?!

My usual rule is that if I wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't give it to my pets and I definitely wouldn't eat something covered in bugs :-/

But logically if the rabbits came across some mint outside they would make it disappear in seconds, aphids or not, right?

It's really odd, they're all over the mint, a few on the basil but nothing on the thyme, coriander or greek basil!

Aphids seem to be coming into their own at the moment.

What I do with my apple trees to get rid of them is spray with water to which I've added one drop of washing up liquid. Too much washing up liquid and you'll do more harm than good.

But if you want to serve them up to the buns, wash all the aphids off and protect the rest of the plant with a light spray, or else pick all the aphids off if the plants aren't too large

Laziness got the better of me :oops:

I just plucked off all of the leaves and left the stems outside, hopefully any ladybirds about will benefit!

You can blast them off with water. I've also learnt that they hate bananas. I leave a chopped up banana skin in water for a couple of days, then sprays plants with the banana water....it actually works!

Back