• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much of mulberry?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I bought a mulberry tree a few weeks ago as one of my mom's mother's day presents (she ate lots of mulberries as a kid so has really wanted mulberry trees) and I was wondering how much/how frequently it'd be safe to give my buns the leaves/twigs? Like when the tree needs pruning. From a brief bit of reading it looks like mulberry is really good for bunnies and they can eat a good bit of it?

My rabbits have never had the luxury of having Mulberry leaves/twigs, but I would imagine that the frequency of feeding would be similar to say Apple. I would, therefore, test feed a small quantity a few times just like any other new food. Then if there are no ill effects I would feed the leaves/twigs quite freely at pruning time.

What we do with Apple here is to feed the leaves, about a very large handful, daily between three rabbits, at the time when they start to fall. Also when pruning our trees the twigs are small enough for them to be eaten in their entirety, i.e. not just taken the bark. We stand the twigs in a bucket of water to keep them fresh for several days and let them have, I guess, around 10 or 12 each day.

What a lovely present :)

Thanks :) I'm excited to give them some! I only actually thought about it recently, now I'm wishing I'd given them the leaves that got accidentally broke off when I potted it but I wasn't entirely sure if mulberry was edible at the time.

I never knew about keeping apple twigs fresh like that! We have 2 apple trees (low chill kinds so they'll fruit here) - I'll have to do that next time they're pruned :)

Back