Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: RHD2 Updated 25 June 2018

Default RHD2 Updated 19/06/18

Frances Harcourt Brown has put this on her Facebook Page:

After a lull in cases of RHDV2 in our Sudden and Unexpected Death investigation, we are now getting more cases again. This disease is not going away. RHDV2 has now been reported in wild rabbits in New Zealand. Like Canada, it is hard to know how the disease has got there. Officially RHD-K5 is the strain that has been released in New Zealand because pet owners can vaccinate their rabbits against it. There is no RHDV2 vaccine so Filavie and other RHDV2 vaccine manufacturers are going to be very busy exporting vaccine. Both North America and New Zealand want the vaccine. It is worrying time for rabbit owners. The report also contains a link to a piece advising landowners with a rabbit problem. Apparently carcases of wild rabbits with should be left to infect as many other rabbits as possible!!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12051739
    Last edited by MightyMax; 19-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Hey.

I think we have an outbreak in our wild rabbits at work of either vhd or vhd2. I can't find much information on vhd2 describing symptoms we would be seeing. I've read about vhd1 and the symptoms describe exactly what is happening at work. However I'm wondering if vhd2 looks the same?

So far we've had 3 rabbits die within 2 weeks that look fine one minute and then start convulsing and shortly die. :-(

Of course there could be many more dying but I work on a nature reserve, so we wouldn't always find them.

Im not sure if we need to report it anywhere, especially as I'm not sure what it is.

Im super worried about our buns and have been trying to remember to leave my shoes in the car! (They are vaccinated though)

Anyone got any advice and the wildies.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Hey.

I think we have an outbreak in our wild rabbits at work of either vhd or vhd2. I can't find much information on vhd2 describing symptoms we would be seeing. I've read about vhd1 and the symptoms describe exactly what is happening at work. However I'm wondering if vhd2 looks the same?

So far we've had 3 rabbits die within 2 weeks that look fine one minute and then start convulsing and shortly die. :-(

Of course there could be many more dying but I work on a nature reserve, so we wouldn't always find them.

Im not sure if we need to report it anywhere, especially as I'm not sure what it is.

Im super worried about our buns and have been trying to remember to leave my shoes in the car! (They are vaccinated though)

Anyone got any advice and the wildies.

No, the symptoms of RHD2 are not the same as RHD1. It's very difficult to diagnose in the early stages, and the rabbits carry the disease for longer. Chronic infections are more common, with rabbits surviving. Sometimes exhibiting weight loss and jaundice.

Death from RHD-2 occur later and over a longer period of time than RHD-1: typically this is 3-9 days following infection and can last up to 5 days, instead of 2-6 days infection and lasting 3-4 days as generally observed with classical RHD-1.

It certainly seems to be spreading more, due probably to the hotter weather.

Some more info here - scroll down to "Clinical Signs of RHD2"

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...ase#section-11

Frances Harcourt Brown:
    Anecdotally, outbreaks in groups of pet rabbits can show sporadic deaths, sometimes with companion rabbits that survive with no obvious clinical signs. Sometimes other underlying diseases suddenly flare up (e.g.rhinitis or treponematosis) in a short period of time. This can complicate the diagnosis. Systemic illness with weight loss and anorexia seems to be a feature.

RHD2 appears to lower immune response and so the rabbit succumbs to other illnesses which quite possibly kill it.
    Last edited by MightyMax; 23-05-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    No, the symptoms of RHD2 are not the same as RHD1. It's very difficult to diagnose in the early stages, and the rabbits carry the disease for longer. Chronic infections are more common, with rabbits surviving. Sometimes exhibiting weight loss and jaundice.

Death from RHD-2 occur later and over a longer period of time than RHD-1: typically this is 3-9 days following infection and can last up to 5 days, instead of 2-6 days infection and lasting 3-4 days as generally observed with classical RHD-1.

It certainly seems to be spreading more, due probably to the hotter weather.

Some more info here - scroll down to "Clinical Signs of RHD2"

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...ase#section-11

Frances Harcourt Brown:
    Anecdotally, outbreaks in groups of pet rabbits can show sporadic deaths, sometimes with companion rabbits that survive with no obvious clinical signs. Sometimes other underlying diseases suddenly flare up (e.g.rhinitis or treponematosis) in a short period of time. This can complicate the diagnosis. Systemic illness with weight loss and anorexia seems to be a feature.

RHD2 appears to lower immune response and so the rabbit succumbs to other illnesses which quite possibly kill it.
    Thanks MM. It's probably not vhd2 then. The bunnies look perfectly healthy no obvious weight loss or jaundice. So maybe it's a vhd1 outbreak? Will this wipe out most of the Warren? I haven't seen any buns since the last death.

Thanks MM. It's probably not vhd2 then. The bunnies look perfectly healthy no obvious weight loss or jaundice. So maybe it's a vhd1 outbreak? Will this wipe out most of the Warren? I haven't seen any buns since the last death.
    Sounds exactly like RHD2 to me! I think it's fair to say that the symptoms are more variable than with RHD1, not that they are completely different. There have been plenty of cases of confirmed RHD2 where the reports are that the rabbits appeared completely normal and then just dropped dead with no prior symptoms...it's just that there *can* be symptoms in some cases. All of the rabbits that have been tested over the past few years have been RHD2 (and indeed some earlier samples re-tested when the second variant emerged showed as RHD2 rather than 1 - originally they weren't testing for variants, just RHD), it does seem to have taken over as the dominant strain.

Can you pm me the area that you've noted this please, and I'll add it to the RHD2 map which plots confirmed and suspected cases, as it does seem highly likely from what you've said.
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

To be fair, it could be either, though RHD2 is becoming more prevalent so I would err towards thinking it was that.

It may well wipe out most of the Warren. I can understand your concern regarding your own rabbits, but taking all the sensible precautions and vaccinating is the best you can do, and I am sure that's good enough

Wow almost 100,000 views of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Sounds exactly like RHD2 to me! I think it's fair to say that the symptoms are more variable than with RHD1, not that they are completely different. There have been plenty of cases of confirmed RHD2 where the reports are that the rabbits appeared completely normal and then just dropped dead with no prior symptoms...it's just that there *can* be symptoms in some cases. All of the rabbits that have been tested over the past few years have been RHD2 (and indeed some earlier samples re-tested when the second variant emerged showed as RHD2 rather than 1 - originally they weren't testing for variants, just RHD), it does seem to have taken over as the dominant strain.

Can you pm me the area that you've noted this please, and I'll add it to the RHD2 map which plots confirmed and suspected cases, as it does seem highly likely from what you've said.
    Yep will do Santa.

Frances Harcourt Brown has added this to her informative website:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/com...1-e-2.pdf/view

Go to page 41 for info on RHD2

The report concerns Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, but shows RHD2 to be invasive and a sure fire killer in this report above

I was talking with my vet yesterday, and there have been two confirmed rabbit deaths from RHD2 in the West London area.

These were house rabbits

Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2, and every year for continued immunity.