Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 566

Thread: RHD2 Updated 6th Oct 2017

  1. #21
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,105

    Default

    Thank you for taking the time to explain that. much appreciated.

    I'll contact my vets tomorrow to see if they have/will be getting the new vaccine.
    If not I'll contact the exotic specialist in Cambridge to discuss.

  2. #22
    Wise Old Thumper parsnipbun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    11,671

    Default

    The Cambridge Vet Group have contacted the NVS wholesalers who are at present not in receipt of the vaccine and not even taking 'pre orders'. However the CVG will be chasing them up every day as they think it will be in the very near future as RWAF is hoping by mid June vaccine will be here.

    The three trips a year in the 'old days' were:

    1. Myxo jab
    2. two weeks later VHD jab
    3. 6 months later 2nd myxi jab (as they were 6 monthly in those days in high risk areas)

    Then they brought out the combined myxi/VHD jab which was a better form of the myxi vaccine so only needed to be done yearly, and the vaccne had been developed with both jabs together so no need for the two week gap which they had had to leave previously.

    this was al great news and saved us an absolute fortune.

    Alas it looks like we are now almost back to square 1!!
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

  3. #23
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    The Cambridge Vet Group have contacted the NVS wholesalers who are at present not in receipt of the vaccine and not even taking 'pre orders'. However the CVG will be chasing them up every day as they think it will be in the very near future as RWAF is hoping by mid June vaccine will be here.

    The three trips a year in the 'old days' were:

    1. Myxo jab
    2. two weeks later VHD jab
    3. 6 months later 2nd myxi jab (as they were 6 monthly in those days in high risk areas)

    Then they brought out the combined myxi/VHD jab which was a better form of the myxi vaccine so only needed to be done yearly, and the vaccne had been developed with both jabs together so no need for the two week gap which they had had to leave previously.

    this was al great news and saved us an absolute fortune.

    Alas it looks like we are now almost back to square 1!!
    Thanks for the NVS info. I still have a few contacts in the company so will ask them to keep me in the loop of when they get it in and will post if no one else has beaten me to it

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Wise Old Thumper parsnipbun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    11,671

    Default

    Oooh that would be really really useful - thank you!

    Though Lucy says they will be pestering NVS until they get a date I am sure they have other urgent tuff to do and it may fall by the wayside a bit . .
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

  5. #25
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    The Cambridge Vet Group have contacted the NVS wholesalers who are at present not in receipt of the vaccine and not even taking 'pre orders'. However the CVG will be chasing them up every day as they think it will be in the very near future as RWAF is hoping by mid June vaccine will be here.

    The three trips a year in the 'old days' were:

    1. Myxo jab
    2. two weeks later VHD jab
    3. 6 months later 2nd myxi jab (as they were 6 monthly in those days in high risk areas)

    Then they brought out the combined myxi/VHD jab which was a better form of the myxi vaccine so only needed to be done yearly, and the vaccne had been developed with both jabs together so no need for the two week gap which they had had to leave previously.

    this was al great news and saved us an absolute fortune.

    Alas it looks like we are now almost back to square 1!!
    And possibly for the first year, slightly behind square one .. I gather that the VHD2 has to be given with a booster 3 weeks after the initial vaccine. That's three vaccinations in the first year (though two thereafter I assume?). Although if there is a variant of the vaccine it may not require the booster three weeks later?

    And since the VHD2 vaccine could cover VHD1 as well, it's an onslaught of VHD vaccine for the rabbits - three doses in the first year!
    Last edited by MightyMax; 31-05-2016 at 11:45 PM.

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper parsnipbun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    11,671

    Default

    I am not sure whether the French vaccine that is now due to be the first one into the country needs boosters or not - I am sure the RWA covered this when looking at all the options (and it was on that very useful webinar which I have not time to rewatch now - hopefully someone else will!!)

    I am really very worried about the costs - and hoping my vets will not charge the full consultation fee (35) for each of the bunny vacs for VHD2 .

    At present I am having vacs done for myxi/vhd1 in groups throughout the year as thats how its ended up, and it also helps with the finances. But I have 18 in for their normal myxi/vhd1 vacs in June/July already - and if I have all 32 needing the vhd2 as well, and THEN boosters that will be crippling.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

  7. #27
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,105

    Default

    I've been onto all my contacts at NVS, and among various veterinary practices asking them to keep me in the loop. As I hear things I'll share.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Wise Old Thumper Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The grotto
    Posts
    13,217

    Default

    I'm not sure it was on the webinar, Twigs - they covered some key aspects like whether they were mineral oil based and the number of units in a vial, but not the vaccination protocol for each of them.

    If the incoming vaccine needs a booster 3 weeks after the first, you might be able to negotiate paying a lower rate by having the second one done by a VN - it's perfectly allowable for a VN to do this (para 18.11 of the link:http://www.rcvs.org.uk/advice-and-gu...rinary-nurses/)

    By the sounds of it, Richard is working on protocols at the moment so hopefully there will be an update at the RWAF conference this weekend. I'm sure those of us who are going will feed back any new info. Thanks also daphnephoebe for your NVS badgering, we look forward to hearing when you have any news!
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

  9. #29
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    I am not sure whether the French vaccine that is now due to be the first one into the country needs boosters or not - I am sure the RWA covered this when looking at all the options (and it was on that very useful webinar which I have not time to rewatch now - hopefully someone else will!!)

    I am really very worried about the costs - and hoping my vets will not charge the full consultation fee (35) for each of the bunny vacs for VHD2 .

    At present I am having vacs done for myxi/vhd1 in groups throughout the year as thats how its ended up, and it also helps with the finances. But I have 18 in for their normal myxi/vhd1 vacs in June/July already - and if I have all 32 needing the vhd2 as well, and THEN boosters that will be crippling.
    I can totally sympathise with you regarding costs. It's monumental

    I really hope your vets can give you a discount for all your rabbits. Did you ever get a discount for the combo vaccine?

  10. #30
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I'm not sure it was on the webinar, Twigs - they covered some key aspects like whether they were mineral oil based and the number of units in a vial, but not the vaccination protocol for each of them.

    If the incoming vaccine needs a booster 3 weeks after the first, you might be able to negotiate paying a lower rate by having the second one done by a VN - it's perfectly allowable for a VN to do this (para 18.11 of the link:http://www.rcvs.org.uk/advice-and-gu...rinary-nurses/)

    By the sounds of it, Richard is working on protocols at the moment so hopefully there will be an update at the RWAF conference this weekend. I'm sure those of us who are going will feed back any new info. Thanks also daphnephoebe for your NVS badgering, we look forward to hearing when you have any news!
    I was wondering whether it was discussed on the webinar .. I guess different makers of vaccines could prescribe different protocols?

    Daphnephoebe, thanks for keeping us updated

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •