Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: RHD2 Updated 9th December 2017

Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    32 - (Did you not count them when you were here????) so there would be some doses left I know - but as the single doses ran out so quickly last time I would be fine with paying for a 50. Happy for a rescue to have the rest if they can get to the vets while vial still useable. Though its actually the vets time rather than the vaccine itself that is the real cost.
    Yes I did try to count them, but I couldn't be sure, as 'extras' kept popping out of the house during the day

That's over a thousand pounds for your vaccines... oh wow.

I know - we were thrilled when they brought in the combined yearly vaccine rather than the old arrangement where they had to have three vaccinations a year - it saved us a fortune!! Now this . . .

I am not sure how private rescues will cope either .

We dont actively fund raise except in very very rare and special circumstances (Charlie's lens replacement for example) but this will have a big impact on us in terms of finances. But better that than VHD2.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

it is good news

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I know - we were thrilled when they brought in the combined yearly vaccine rather than the old arrangement where they had to have three vaccinations a year - it saved us a fortune!! Now this . . .

I am not sure how private rescues will cope either .

We dont actively fund raise except in very very rare and special circumstances (Charlie's lens replacement for example) but this will have a big impact on us in terms of finances. But better that than VHD2.
    Ah you did two myxi jabs a year then.

I really hope your foraging days help towards funds, though it's hard work for you both. To say nothing of the cleaning and prep beforehand. And of course, very seasonal.

Then taking on lovelies like Albertine add to the cost ..

Albertine is going from strength to strength - he can now lay down!!! When we first got him he could only 'sit' in as he had never had space to lay down before -
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Albertine is going from strength to strength - he can now lay down!!! When we first got him he could only 'sit' in as he had never had space to lay down before -
    It was heartbreaking to hear how he was being kept confined for so many years

So glad to hear the little fellow is coming along!

Guys... I have a question about the VHD-2 vaccine... I'm trying to wrap my head around it as the buns go into boarding soon & I want to check this out before they go. (If my vets have the vaccine available).

So before the combi vaccine, it was a myxo vaccine followed 6 months later by a VHD vaccine. Now there is the combined which is Myxo + RHD (VHD) every 12 months.
    With the new VHD-2 vaccine, would they be getting the combined & the VHD-2 at the same time, or will it be the combined & VHD-2 6 months later, or will it be myxo, 6 months later VHD + VHD-2 ? I'm not sure how it will all work and I'm getting confused!!

The girls aren't due their vaccines until Sept & Nov. (Sept will probably wait until Nov so they can both go together with less stress)

It won't be two vaccines at the same time, as they haven't been tested together so need to be given at least 2 weeks apart. Other than that there's no particular need to schedule them at the same or opposite times of the year - the more pressing need is probably to get them vaccinated ASAP and then keep that routine in future. That was always the case, there was no need for there to be 6m between the myxo and RHD vaccines - some people just found it convenient to offset the cycles to get a 6 monthly check up.

The exact protocol will depend on which vaccine the vet gets hold of as there are a few which have approval for import now. I'm hoping that the latest info will be covered at the RWAF conference on Saturday and we can update after that. I suspect that (for the time being at least) we will be reverting back to 3 visits a year in much the same way as it used to be under the old separate myxomatosis and VHD vaccines a few years ago.
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    It won't be two vaccines at the same time, as they haven't been tested together so need to be given at least 2 weeks apart. Other than that there's no particular need to schedule them at the same or opposite times of the year - the more pressing need is probably to get them vaccinated ASAP and then keep that routine in future. That was always the case, there was no need for there to be 6m between the myxo and RHD vaccines - some people just found it convenient to offset the cycles to get a 6 monthly check up.

The exact protocol will depend on which vaccine the vet gets hold of as there are a few which have approval for import now. I'm hoping that the latest info will be covered at the RWAF conference on Saturday and we can update after that. I suspect that (for the time being at least) we will be reverting back to 3 visits a year in much the same way as it used to be under the old separate myxomatosis and VHD vaccines a few years ago.
    Thanks Santa (I love typing your name!!)
    One other question you've raised for me. I've never know the 3 visits a year (the whole time I was at the vets it was a twice a year thing & I didn't have rabbits before then). What were the three visits a year for - which vaccines & when?

The VHD was annual, and the myxo was once every 6 months to give full protection. That's because it wasn't actually a myxo vaccine, it was made from a related virus so relied on cross immunity to make it work, so it wasn't quite as effective and needed more regular boosting. A lot of vets, especially in areas which weren't deemed 'high risk' would vaccinate once a year with myxo rather than twice, and would do it at the start of the main mosquito season so that the vaccine was effective over the most risky time of year.

Because the combined myxo-rhd vaccine is actually made from the myxomatosis virus, it only needs doing once a year. So now it's the other way round - the emergence of the new RHD variant seems to be needing more effective boosters at the moment. Whether that will change over time, I don't know.
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com