• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Morse Puppy as Requested- Updated 15th June

I think I will be working on getting him used to being just out in the cul-de-sac on a lead first. We went out twice today and he HATES it. He just cries and wants me to pick him up. It was so hard not to do so as I hate seeing him scared :cry: Hopefully over the next few days he will become more confident. Outdoor life obviously looks very different to him from ground level than it did from when we went on walks with me carrying him.

Oh bless him, he is still of course a baby. The world will look very different when you are so low to the ground. Hopefully his confidence will soon grow and he starts to enjoy his time out and about. I am sure he won't be short of admirers.

We've just been out for another quiet walk and Morse was so brave !! No crying or panics at all. I bought him a new harness, a step in one. The other two he has need to be put on over his head or fastened/unfastened with velcro. Morse hates the noise of the velcro and whilst he does not mind having the 'overhead' harness put on he does not like it when I have to take it off over his head. This being all the more upsetting for him yesterday as he was already upset after his first view of the big wide world whilst he had all four paws on the ground. I did not want him getting the idea that a harness meant going somewhere 'nasty' then of having to have the harness pulled over his head again at the end of it all.

The step in harness is so much easier for him and I dont know why I did not think of it before.

Anyway, just a progress report on Morse Pup's first steps in the outside world !

Glad he enjoyed his latest walk, he sounds like a star :love: I'm always amazed by how many different types of harnesses there are, they use lots of different ones at the RSPCA and I need to have a good look at some of them first before fathoming some of them out! :lol:

Last edited:
Glad he enjoyed his latest walk, he sounds like a star :love: I'm always amazed by how many different types of harnesses there are, they use lots of different ones at the RSPCA and I need to have a good luck at some of them first before fathoming some of them out! :lol:

I used to have a harness for my Westie, but it was nothing like the harnesses today

I used to have a harness for my Westie, but it was nothing like the harnesses today

He is lovely. I spent a while researching wondering what type to buy for my dog who lives at home at the moment but once I move will be living with me again, in the end I bought a vest type one which goes over his head, but I'm not entirely happy with it as it's a bit loose around his chest but any smaller and he wouldn't be able to fit his big head through it! The step in ones are a nice, quicker to get on and off alternative :)

Ah yes...the harness that wraps up from the belly instead of being like a sling to squeeze them into. I have never understood why pet suppliers offer something tight that you have to wrestle your pet into, although I can see how one would think it more secure if they can't wriggle out of it easily. But it makes the dog feel more confined I'm sure.

I have quite a few quilted jackets for Jenna that have the jump rings sewn onto the back, but you can imagine they are not really safe for busy roads. Ebon however needs that wrap up harness and it has to be snug. The one we have now is old, and has one 'tooth' missing from the buckle, so if you don't loop the lead clasp through the jump rings, you risk her popping out of it which would be a disaster if there were traffic! (She thinks she can eat cars.)

I just got her a collar today that will be solely for keeping her rabies tags on her person. She has a habit of chewing collars so we've really not used them much, but when we move the city will likely want her to be wearing them at all times. Getting her used to the collar is going to be a Labour of Hercules, she once got her lower jaw caught in one and we had a time getting it open to release her. Panic ensued! Hopefully she's matured somewhat and won't try to bite this one. :roll:

What was your Westie's name, Jane? I don't recall you mentioning this one.

So glad to see that Morse Pup is finding his walking times more comfortable and that his recall is sound. He'll be dragging you out the door and down the street next! :D xxxx

Ah yes...the harness that wraps up from the belly instead of being like a sling to squeeze them into. I have never understood why pet suppliers offer something tight that you have to wrestle your pet into, although I can see how one would think it more secure if they can't wriggle out of it easily. But it makes the dog feel more confined I'm sure.

I have quite a few quilted jackets for Jenna that have the jump rings sewn onto the back, but you can imagine they are not really safe for busy roads. Ebon however needs that wrap up harness and it has to be snug. The one we have now is old, and has one 'tooth' missing from the buckle, so if you don't loop the lead clasp through the jump rings, you risk her popping out of it which would be a disaster if there were traffic! (She thinks she can eat cars.)

I just got her a collar today that will be solely for keeping her rabies tags on her person. She has a habit of chewing collars so we've really not used them much, but when we move the city will likely want her to be wearing them at all times. Getting her used to the collar is going to be a Labour of Hercules, she once got her lower jaw caught in one and we had a time getting it open to release her. Panic ensued! Hopefully she's matured somewhat and won't try to bite this one. :roll:

What was your Westie's name, Jane? I don't recall you mentioning this one.

So glad to see that Morse Pup is finding his walking times more comfortable and that his recall is sound. He'll be dragging you out the door and down the street next! :D xxxx

He was called Patrick (Paddy). I was given him when I was 9 and he passed when I was 26. He was a stubborn sod and never had one episode of obedience in his life ! Mal and Paddy had a healthy disrespect for each other, they were both equally stubborn , but Paddy had the sharpest teeth...................

He wasn't a 'nasty' dog, but my Mum spoiled him rotten and he had a severe case of 'little dog syndrome'. He did not think he was always the boss, he knew he was !

Morse has really gotten the hang of this 'going for a walk' thing now !! His little legs move so fast and as he's such a ball of fluff (there is hardly anything of him really, he's all fluff !) he looks so funny as he scurries along :lol: Like a big floor mop on speed :lol:

Morse has really gotten the hang of this 'going for a walk' thing now !! His little legs move so fast and as he's such a ball of fluff (there is hardly anything of him really, he's all fluff !) he looks so funny as he scurries along :lol: Like a big floor mop on speed :lol:

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
After having big dogs most of my life, I can't tell you how hilarious it still is to watch Jenna walking down the street. But those short pins of hers still outdistance me in a good sprint though! :shock:

Does all his fluff disappear when you bathe him? We're surprised how much thinner Ebon looks soaking wet...she's all fur (well almost...her doc says she needs to diet.)

I have had my first attempt at clipping Morse, he became ridiculously fluffy ! Worse than the late Mr Bean (Rabbit). I did not want his first experience of being clipped to be all done in one long session in a strange place by a stranger. I want him to not be fearful of the experience as it is something he will need every 5-6 weeks for all of his life. So I bought some Professional clippers and grooming equipment. Obviously the initial outlay was relatively costly, but in the long run it will be much more economical than paying £40-£50 for a Dog Groomer to do it every 5-6 weeks.

It took us several short sessions over 3 days, but Morse gradually got used to the clippers and although my styling skills are not great I am hoping that the more I do it the better I will get. The most important thing is that Morse is comfortable. He was getting far too warm in his very, very thick fluffy coat and he needed grooming at least 3 times a day. Now he just needs his eyes and ears checked/cleaned, his teeth brushed and a quick comb of his coat.

So without further ado, Morse showing this Summer's Pomapoo-Pup fur style !

Looks like you've done a great job :love: I saw that book you linked to in an earlier post in the charity shop I often go to so bought it, think it will come in handy for my studies and the future :)

Back