• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet troubles (Petra, not me)

bunnybannanas

Mama Doe
So i read a thread a while ago that suggested putting newspapers and hay and old poo in a litter tray to encourage her to poo.

I did that and she used the tray for a few days and then she got into the habit of going to the loo then seeing how much mess she could create for me by tipping the tray and contents everywhere.

Now she just goes next to it. Is there anything i can do to get her to use it again?!

What do you use for a litter tray? Originally we used one of those triangular trays cable tied to a corner but the hay/poo/paper was kicked out. We now use a under bed storage box fixed in a corner and it seems high enough that it is difficult to kick the litter out (so far)

She never used to use trays just her cage. She was quite good until i came back from thailand this year and now she's pooing in protest still.

She never used to use trays just her cage. She was quite good until i came back from thailand this year and now she's pooing in protest still.

My guess it's related to you going away then. Do you know what she was doing whilst you were away? I would just persevere and pick the poos up and put them in the tray each time. She may settle down again (hopefully).

Does she do any in the tray?

She's quite intermittent now. Sometimes she'll go in the tray others she won't. If she goes out of the tray shall i just pick it up and put it in there? I've been putting it in the bin

If she goes outside of the tray I would sweep it up and put it in the tray. It's probably down to territorial marking. You need to regularly sweep up poops and put them into her tray to help encourage her. Also mopping up any wee and neutralising the spot with vinegar/water mix will help. Is she spayed? Spaying would most likely improve things. A larger tray, and more trays would help. Boots has one large underbed storage box and 2 slightly smaller ones in other places he liked to go to the toilet.

So i read a thread a while ago that suggested putting newspapers and hay and old poo in a litter tray to encourage her to poo.

I did that and she used the tray for a few days and then she got into the habit of going to the loo then seeing how much mess she could create for me by tipping the tray and contents everywhere.

Now she just goes next to it. Is there anything i can do to get her to use it again?!

It's just poos .. not wees as well then?

Yes, her territory and not yours :lol:

Hahahahahahahaaaa it's like IT'S MY HOUSE AND I WILL GO WHERE I DAMN WELL PLEASE!! Scruffy cow. She did the same tonight though when i put the poo inside the tray she just went next to it. It's like she's mocking me!!

Well well well looks like hoomin 1 - 0 Petra!!

Thank you everyone for your advice looks who's in the litter tray.

aad52893788d1c2a4fc72640460e0727.jpg

Haha that's the face of a rabbit who's lost round 1 and is thinking through possible further strategies :lol:

FFS. She's been so good all night. Go to clean the tray out and find the hay (and poop) all over the floor. ARGH!!

7ee603a1f2a70631fb20a65c7bd5a35a.jpg

I have to say that looks normal to me in terms of mess, Boots has his litter tray filled with loads of hay, and there's often some overspill :lol:

I have to say that looks normal to me in terms of mess, Boots has his litter tray filled with loads of hay, and there's often some overspill :lol:

Yes, I would say the same. My rabbits are outside with three litter trays filled with hay and all of them will have some hay like that around the edges of the trays.

Back