• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Greens (Relating to a thread in Health)

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

(I didn't want to derail olices thread in Health, but it's got me wondering about Spring Greens.)

A few people mentioned noticing problems with their buns after eating spring greens, gas etc. My buns love them and I've been giving them regularly with no apparent problems.

Do I need to stop giving them, or only if I notice any anything?

What do others typically feed their rabbits each day, veg wise?

Thanks in advance x

Hi all,

(I didn't want to derail olices thread in Health, but it's got me wondering about Spring Greens.)

A few people mentioned noticing problems with their buns after eating spring greens, gas etc. My buns love them and I've been giving them regularly with no apparent problems.

Do I need to stop giving them, or only if I notice any anything?

What do others typically feed their rabbits each day, veg wise?

Thanks in advance x

I feed spring greens as a staple most days and have never ever had any issues :D

Sometimes we never get to the bottom (no pun intended) of our rabbits' digestive issues.

However, forage and fresh grass are also very good :D

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe it's just some rabbits that don't tolerate them to well. I think I'll just keep giving them then, as long as I don't notice any problems x

I usually only give Spring Greens but they haven't been very good lately. I nooticed Morrisons didn't have any the other day.

Mine regularly have spring greens, cabbage and kale - all things that some people's buns can't tolerate. But they don't seem to cause mine any problems so I feed them daily.

In winter the majority of my bunnies greens are from the cabbage family...my 3 seem to tolerate them well. Spring- late autumn I replace the cabbage with forage

Spring greens are generally the base of any veg dinner Milo gets and we've had no problem. We substituded for kale for a while and that did cause some trouble for him but we've never had a prob with spring greens x

I feed Spring greens daily and both buns have recently had funny tummies, might try removing the spring greens, see how they go

I have had Rabbits who have had tummy pain after eating SGs. I think if you encounter a problem then it's better to avoid what you believe may be the cause. What numerous Rabbits may be 'fine' eating may not suit some other Rabbits x

Spring greens are generally the base of any veg dinner Milo gets and we've had no problem. We substituded for kale for a while and that did cause some trouble for him but we've never had a prob with spring greens x

Yeah, seem to be well tolerated by loads of buns :thumb:

I have had Rabbits who have had tummy pain after eating SGs. I think if you encounter a problem then it's better to avoid what you believe may be the cause. What numerous Rabbits may be 'fine' eating may not suit some other Rabbits x

Well, there really are rabbits that can't stomach greens well, some that were never fed greens, or come from lines that didn't see any greens for generations, or for whatever reason, it can happen.

Normally though, it's more about how fast the greens are introduced, a period of 1-2 weeks is sometimes necessary to adjust. Slowly rise the dose, starting with a few leafs 2-3 times a day.

Well, there really are rabbits that can't stomach greens well, some that were never fed greens, or come from lines that didn't see any greens for generations, or for whatever reason, it can happen.

Normally though, it's more about how fast the greens are introduced, a period of 1-2 weeks is sometimes necessary to adjust. Slowly rise the dose, starting with a few leafs 2-3 times a day.

One of my bridge bunnies, Boots, couldn't tolerate spring greens. One leaf set him off tummy pressing! Some forage also affected him the same way, but he was fine with broccoli, banana, pepper, strawberry leaves etc.

Fed spring greens to mine for nine years, no trouble.
One out of the four, Matthew, couldn't take green beans. They were all happy on fine green beans instead.
Buns tums. A mystery.

Mine are having a field day with fresh grass, clover, etc. Literally. They are out roaming in the evening and scarfing up all they can eat to the point that they don't want their usual evening salad.

Been a while since this thread has popped up :)

Since then, I've continued to offer spring greens and not had any issues x

Always remember how small rabbits are. I wouldn't offer a rabbit a whole leaf.
I give about 7 grams of spring greens per day.
I always follow grass, greens and vegetables with a small number of pellets. I think pellets help settle a stomach but that's just a theory.

And always wash produce

Back