• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pepe has fell in a watered down tin of emulsion paint

one of the kids has left a tub of paint behind the bins with the lid half off and it has filled with water, pepe has found it and fell in in up his legs and belly. i washed him straight away and got what i could off him but he is grooming like mad now. Is he in any danger, none went on his face but will it harm him grooming any remaining emulsion of himself. He is slightly pale blue coloured where the paint went. Any advise please, the vet said keep an eye on him and was trying hard not to laugh at my now blue rabbit.

one of the kids has left a tub of paint behind the bins with the lid half off and it has filled with water, pepe has found it and fell in in up his legs and belly. i washed him straight away and got what i could off him but he is grooming like mad now. Is he in any danger, none went on his face but will it harm him grooming any remaining emulsion of himself. He is slightly pale blue coloured where the paint went. Any advise please, the vet said keep an eye on him and was trying hard not to laugh at my now blue rabbit.

You need to stop him grooming himself
. If he ingests a lot of paint he could be in real trouble.

It may be necessary to fully bath him if there is still a lot of paint on his fur. Then you'd need to dry him using a hairdryer on a cool setting. If you do fully bath him he will need to be kept indoors tonight to be certain he does not chill.

I'm quite surprised the vet would find it remotely funny? :?

I would make sure you can wash as much as possible off him using something like baby shampoo and drying gently with a hair dryer. Then examine the tin to see whether there are any toxic ingredients, and if possible ring the manufacturer. Though as it's out of hours it may not be possible.

To be honest I think he will be OK, but really keep an eye and make sure there are no concentrated patches of paint left in areas such as underneath or in leg joints etc.

Good luck with that x

I think that most paint these days has to be non-toxic, but that might not mean it's non-toxic for rabbits. I'm surprised at your vet's reaction tbh.

I think to be on the safe side I would wash him to make sure there's no paint left for him to groom off, obviously drying him off afterwards. It should come off more easily as it's emulsion, than if it were gloss etc.

Also if it's a well-known make of paint, I would look on their website. All the paints should be listed with their ingredients, so that you can see if there is anything worrying in it.

thanks jacks jane ive just bathed him in a couple of inches of water and blow dried him. They are house rabbits anyway so i will make sure he is nice and warm. All the paint came out fully, it wasnt thick because there was only an inch of paint with the can filled up with water, i didnt even know it was there, my daughter has been decorating her room. Pepe is the bun that had stasis i hope it doesnt set off another attack because of the shock.

sorry didnt see the other comments because i went bathing him, it wasnt my own vet it was an out of hours. I just used warm water in the bath but it still came out, I hope i havent caused him to get cold, i washed him when it happened then went the vets wrapped in a towel and then hes been bathed.

As paints go, watered down emulsion is probably the safest thing to be dunked in. It's water based to start with so doesn't contain a lot of the nastier chemicals you'd get with gloss etc. If you've washed it off and dried him out I'd expect him to be just fine. Although I imagine he might not be talking to you for awhile. Lots of hay and keeping an eye on his poop and eating is a good idea though.

luckily he WAS the tamest out of the 8 so he let me bath him without too much fuss, he did bite my arm when i was carrying him down stairs though. He just keeps showing me his bum now lol.. ive just refilled all their hay, Thanks for all the advise everyone i was proper panicked, especially with the laughing vet

luckily he WAS the tamest out of the 8 so he let me bath him without too much fuss, he did bite my arm when i was carrying him down stairs though. He just keeps showing me his bum now lol.. ive just refilled all their hay, Thanks for all the advise everyone i was proper panicked, especially with the laughing vet

You can always count on RU :thumb:

thanks for thinking about him. he seems perfectly fine today, ive been out morris dancing all day so the hubby has spoilt him rotten. Its not frightened him much because he was still jumping in all the plant pots, which i think thats what he thought the paint can was poor boy.

glad he seems fine, I am late on this and was going say if was a lot of paint could you trim blue bits off, but if it seems to have come off after bathing that's good

Back