• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone know what this is and if the bunnies can eat it?

beckie20

Mama Doe
This seems to be taking over my lawn this year!

Sorry if this is massive - I'm on my phone and no idea how to resize!

It's creeping buttercup and is a ****** to get rid of. I no longer have buns, so I use a lawn weedkiller to get rid of it.

Apparently small amounts found dried in hay are OK.

Mysterious this safe and unsafe business, isn't it? :lol:

Yes, apart from a few "toxic" plants such as Foxglove, experience has shown me that small amounts of unsafe foods are possibly OK. Not that I think any of them should be recommended even in small amounts, but I think it's a case of it shouldn't cause too much panic.

I remember a couple of weeks ago I caught one of mine very happily eating Allium leaves that, unbeknown to me, had self-seeded itself next to the rabbit run. The Allium has a very pungent garlic-type smell and he was extremely disappointed when I removed all trace of it. He was watched very carefully for several days and strongly encouraged to eat loads of hay, but I saw no ill effects.

Unfortunately with some toxins you will only need to get it wrong once and in a relatively small amount. That's why, when there is so much that is safe and easily identifiable, I try to steer clear of anything where there is the slightest doubt.

You've presumably read this

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...rabbits/plant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists

Yes, apart from a few "toxic" plants such as Foxglove, experience has shown me that small amounts of unsafe foods are possibly OK. Not that I think any of them should be recommended even in small amounts, but I think it's a case of it shouldn't cause too much panic.

I remember a couple of weeks ago I caught one of mine very happily eating Allium leaves that, unbeknown to me, had self-seeded itself next to the rabbit run. The Allium has a very pungent garlic-type smell and he was extremely disappointed when I removed all trace of it. He was watched very carefully for several days and strongly encouraged to eat loads of hay, but I saw no ill effects.

Unfortunately with some toxins you will only need to get it wrong once and in a relatively small amount. That's why, when there is so much that is safe and easily identifiable, I try to steer clear of anything where there is the slightest doubt.

You've presumably read this

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...rabbits/plant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists

Yes, many times quite a while ago! :thumb:

It's creeping buttercup and is a ****** to get rid of. I no longer have buns, so I use a lawn weedkiller to get rid of it.
We have those slowly taking over the lawn as well.
Any advice what to use to remove the buttercups?
Do you treat the whole lawn or just the affected area?
How long do we keep the bunnies off the lawn once it has been treated?

We have those slowly taking over the lawn as well.
Any advice what to use to remove the buttercups?
Do you treat the whole lawn or just the affected area?
How long do we keep the bunnies off the lawn once it has been treated?

They are invading my grassy areas too :(

I think Parsnipbun said that keeping the grass trimmed right down helps to keep them at bay?

Parsnipbun ....... What can we do about buttercups in our lawn? (shouts very loudly :wave:)

Parsnipbun ....... What can we do about buttercups in our lawn? (shouts very loudly :wave:)

:lol::lol:

My garden is a nightmare - deadly nightshade grows all over too, although that is a lot easier to pick out than this annoying buttercup, it put up a real fight when I was wrestling it out of the ground in the rabbits run earlier!

Then later in the year we get clumps of little mushrooms growing everywhere!

I use the grains, it's lawn feed weed and mosskiller. Many varieties, obviously you have to read the instructions carefully, it should say if it's safe for pets etc. Stubborn weeds like buttercups, dandelions etc I use a target spray. As I said I no longer have bunnies so no worries about pets.

I would say, if the purple flowers belong to it, and looking at the leaves, it's a cranesbill, maybe dove's foot cranesbill. It's part of the geranium family but I don't know if rabbits can eat it.

The safest way to get rid of buttercups is to dig them up. Use a trowel or fork to loosen the soil around them, and try to get the whole root out in one go. It's probably easier to work on one patch at a time. They will regrow from any remaining root, but it does get easier and they can be eliminated with some persistence. Just watch out for any new bits and remove them before they get hold again.

You could also spot weed - apply weedkiller (use a small spray bottle or old paintbrush) to just the buttercup leaves and keep the rabbits off for at least a couple of weeks.

I would say, if the purple flowers belong to it, and looking at the leaves, it's a cranesbill, maybe dove's foot cranesbill. It's part of the geranium family but I don't know if rabbits can eat it.

Sorry, I didn't see the flowers :oops: Yes, halfpenny could be right. It could be a Geranium, in which case, yes, rabbits can have it. I always find it difficult to tell between the two before the flowers arrive.

Do the flowers belong to it?

I hope someone can say definitively whether this is Buttercup or Geranium?

That's pretty definitive then. Buttercups don't have pink flowers :)

I'm sorry I didn't see the flowers when I first looked at your photo.

Hurrah!

No problem - my pets are used to me engaging in any number of odd little activities in the name of their safety - im sure wrestling with and muttering at plants in their run isn't first and won't be the last :lol:

this as made me giggle reading this and picturing you wrestling with a plant, my first thought was the story of the enormous turnip where they fall on the floor when it finally comes out of the ground:lol: what we do for our buns x

Back