• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rumbling Tummy Noises

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
My little Cookie has always had a sensitive tummy, and anything out of the ordinary can set off an episode of not eating.

I usually take her to see the vet, and usually there is no particular reason (although she had to have a dental last August) and the last time, we were given a small bottle of Emeprid to help settle her tummy if I felt it was a "minor" issue. This has worked wonderfully.

Now, I had to trim her nails last Sunday and this always stresses her out. By Sunday evening she'd stopped eating. We have her Emeprid and critical care, and small syringes of Ella's Kitchen organic banana pouch. This worked well, and she started eating by herself again (not pellets, but green fresh herbs, small pieces of fruit and some hay/dried herbs). We've supplemented with critical care to ensure she gets enough nutritionist.

However - her tummy gurgles. Loudly. This is unusual for her. We've had occasional tummy rumbles in the past, but Infacol has proved useful. It has on this occasion too, to some extent, but the gurgling comes back and it's really loud. I've rubbed her tummy, which she likes.

She isn't hiding, she's running about, begging for treats, she's peeing and there are some poos although not as big as usual (but as she's not eating as much pellets as usual, I think that's why).

Should I be worried? I kinda am, but kinda not - she isn't displaying the kind of behaviour I'd associate with her feeling poorly - but the rumbling is out of the ordinary (it's not constant).

I'm thinking I'll call the vet tomorrow, but I've been made to feel (in the past) that I overreact...

What do you think, RU:ers?

I'm sorry you've had no replies. Tummy rumbles can be very loud. They are gas moving through the bowels & quite common in bunnies with a sensitive tummy. If Cookie is running around & behaving her normal self, & eating all her caecals (special poohs) it's just a case of keeping an eye on her.
Infacol is good at absorbing gas.
Gentle tummy rubs help it to move through, as does encouraging activity.
Personally, I wouldn't give fruit to a bunny with a sensitive tummy, it can upset the balance of the gut bacteria especially after a slow down.
You may get some ideas from the sticky in the diet section - diet for bunnies with a senstive tummy.

I'm sorry you've had no replies. Tummy rumbles can be very loud. They are gas moving through the bowels & quite common in bunnies with a sensitive tummy. If Cookie is running around & behaving her normal self, & eating all her caecals (special poohs) it's just a case of keeping an eye on her.
Infacol is good at absorbing gas.
Gentle tummy rubs help it to move through, as does encouraging activity.
Personally, I wouldn't give fruit to a bunny with a sensitive tummy, it can upset the balance of the gut bacteria especially after a slow down.
You may get some ideas from the sticky in the diet section - diet for bunnies with a senstive tummy.

thumps_ has given you good advice BB and here is a thread you may like to take a look at :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

My little Cookie has always had a sensitive tummy, and anything out of the ordinary can set off an episode of not eating.

I usually take her to see the vet, and usually there is no particular reason (although she had to have a dental last August) and the last time, we were given a small bottle of Emeprid to help settle her tummy if I felt it was a "minor" issue. This has worked wonderfully.

Now, I had to trim her nails last Sunday and this always stresses her out. By Sunday evening she'd stopped eating. We have her Emeprid and critical care, and small syringes of Ella's Kitchen organic banana pouch. This worked well, and she started eating by herself again (not pellets, but green fresh herbs, small pieces of fruit and some hay/dried herbs). We've supplemented with critical care to ensure she gets enough nutritionist.

However - her tummy gurgles. Loudly. This is unusual for her. We've had occasional tummy rumbles in the past, but Infacol has proved useful. It has on this occasion too, to some extent, but the gurgling comes back and it's really loud. I've rubbed her tummy, which she likes.

She isn't hiding, she's running about, begging for treats, she's peeing and there are some poos although not as big as usual (but as she's not eating as much pellets as usual, I think that's why).

Should I be worried? I kinda am, but kinda not - she isn't displaying the kind of behaviour I'd associate with her feeling poorly - but the rumbling is out of the ordinary (it's not constant).

I'm thinking I'll call the vet tomorrow, but I've been made to feel (in the past) that I overreact...

What do you think, RU:ers?

If a tummy begins gurgling, where you haven't heard it before, it can mean it's a little empty. This isn't dire unless the rabbit has stopped eating altogether.

I've found this article by my friend Dana Krempels really helpful over the years:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Giving Infacol (infant colic drops) and gentle tummy rubs can sometimes speed the passage of the wind and make a bunny more comfortable. The dose given is for 1ml every hour, but unless the rabbit is in confirm stasis (not blockage) then a one off dose may well help.

I wouldn't worry about your vet giving you the feeling you overreact. That's what they are there for and they do get paid well after all :D

Thank you lovely people - she's on great form this morning ❤️

I absolutely agree about the fruit, normally she isn't allowed much but in order to get her eating we've been offering her favourites xx

Back