Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When does a tiff become a fight?

When i bonded my two bunnies at first i separated them at every squabble but over time someone told me that in the wild they would sort out their differences so you should just let them 'fight', so i allowed them to chase each other with a bit of fur pulling and all that jazz but not actual harm as in biting/bleeding.

Weirdly enough they ended up being bonded because they were in a double hutch and i had closed off the stairs and overnight one of them had gotten into the other ones are so they were together in one section all night and ever since then they were bonded and never had any fights. I know this was slightly irresponsible that they were in the same hutch and small too but that was the only way back then

Im not an expert on bonding bunnies but this is what i did.

Looks like you have some sound advice.
    We would let our girls get on with it to a point... we'd stop scuffles but leave them together for at least 10 mins so they ended on a good note. That way they didn't associate each other as something bad.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

This is unbelievably stressful it started off fine, tiny bit of nipping and fur pulling followed by the boys completely ignoring each other ....... Then we had some circling and Bob was being very submissive. Just when we thought we were making progress Buddy really went in for a full scale fight and had Bob pinned to the floor so we had to go in and completely separate them as it was starting to get really nasty.

Starting to think we may have to find someone to do this for us

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Carr View Post
    This is unbelievably stressful it started off fine, tiny bit of nipping and fur pulling followed by the boys completely ignoring each other ....... Then we had some circling and Bob was being very submissive. Just when we thought we were making progress Buddy really went in for a full scale fight and had Bob pinned to the floor so we had to go in and completely separate them as it was starting to get really nasty.

Starting to think we may have to find someone to do this for us
    Have you watched the video (link in post number 2 in this thread)? It's very helpful.

What is happening with your 2 is very much par for the course and yes, it can be very stressful!

I did watch the video and it's fab but the fight this time just went too far, when buddy went for Bob and pinned him to the floor he started squealing and there was no sign of either of them letting up at that point. Checked them both over and they're fine but Bob is very shaken up. Not sure I have the iron will to see this through by myself

Oh dear have they both been neutered at least 6 weeks ago? I've never used any of these, only piles of calming rosemary, but might be worth trying something like these http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...hlight=Feliway

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Yep both boys have been neutered for months. Buddy is just so aggressive! He's an absolute sweetheart to people and can't get enough attention but he's just plain horrible to Bob who is so gentle and is desperate to make friends. I'm going to ask around and find someone who can take them for a week or so for bonding as I'd hate to make the situation worse through ignorance

Alpha Buck

I think, knowing from experience, a lot of fights my rabbits had would have easily escalated had we not intervened. Likewise, the 'spats' on the video, were also going to escalate had someone not intervened. It is knowing when and having courage - not easy, I know.

We used a large enough, thin piece of cardboard to place between them to stop the fighting. I say 'we', meaning my husband and I. He really does the bonding and I support it is helpful to have someone help take the strain as well.

The above is all good advice. It's difficult and not necessarily anything you are doing wrong. Boys are tougher to start with. It might be somewhere completely neutral and with some experienced watching it will work, but even then it's not a guarantee. Sometimes bunnies, particularly boys, just take a dislike and won't compromise.

You are absolutely right to step in if they are biting, so latching on, squealing, pinned down etc. as they can cause injuries. Do check them both over carefully. Try blowing across their fur as that's an easy way to part it to spot a wound.