Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does a tiff become a fight?

Default When does a tiff become a fight?

Hi guys,

2weeks off work and hoping to put some serious time into bonding my boys but I'm just not sure how long we should let them squabble (if at all?) before separating them again. Both boys are neutered and Bob is just desperate to be friends with buddy but buddy so far has other ideas

We had them both eating together for a while on Sunday and then the squabbling started, Bob started humping buddy which we allowed but it then turned into a proper tiff with fur flying at which point I split them up. Was I too quick to separate? Too late? And should we leave them a few more days before trying again or just get straight back into it?

Apologies for the million questions but not sure if I'm doing right or making it worse at this point

It's by difficult unless you are there to decide if it's just a scuffle or escalating further. A bit of fur pulling and mounting and minor scuffles is normal, if they are circling then that is a precursor to a fight. there is an excellent video that mischief and tinkers mum did when she bonded her trio, that might help you http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ight=Trio+bond

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Thanks zoobec, that is a big help. I notice that when the buns fight tinkers mum splits them up but then leaves them together? I was calling an end to the session at that point so maybe I'm just too cautious? Also, does having food present make any difference? I had loads of food for them but was told on another site to remove it.

Yes, I did the same when I bonded, intervened to split them up to stop anything escalating, but left them together. I left mine together day and night and had the pen in the lounge, slept on the settee! Food (particularly pellets) can cause scuffles even in bonded pairs so I scatter fed pellets. When bonding I always had one big pile of hay in the middle and I fed them loads of herbs and forage. I since found out that Rosemary is very calming, and it was Rosemary I was mainly feeding!

Thank you so much zoobec! I have a large plastic tray which was full of hay and veg but I'll skip the veg this time and leave it as just plain hay. Both mine live in the lounge already (taking turns at free roaming) so we're using the kitchen to bond ....... Obviously I can't sleep in there lol but do you think it would be OK to bring them back into the lounge with supervision?

God I am SO sorry for all these questions lol

I think you should leave them in the kitchen, often moving them or extending space even if they are in the same pen can cause things to kick off. They're best left in the same place as long as possible, at least 48 hrs after the last scuffle. Is the kitchen near or next to the lounge, maybe you could camp in the lounge and so long as you can hear any scuffles you can get to them easily.

Right next to each other so hearing them won't be a problem. Thank you again, have left it a bit late today but will get started again in the morning and hopefully will have better results this time x

That sounds good hope you get a good nights sleep tonight, to prepare yourself for it I found it was essential to have a nice bottle of wine to drink to calm my nerves and enable sleep on a settee don't worry I only drank half of it!

I don't need an excuse but I shall tell my husband that the wine was part of the expert advice anyway lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Carr View Post
    I don't need an excuse but I shall tell my husband that the wine was part of the expert advice anyway lol!
    I should point out that so far I have only done that one bond, which was 2 pairs into a quad, so I don't really think I qualify as an expert