• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit first aid kit

MrsCoultas

Mama Doe
After losing Poppy on Saturday, I can't stop thinking about what I could have done to either save her or make her final few hours a bit easier. I realise that I did everything I possibly could have and I don't think there was anything anyone could have done to save her, I'm slowly accepting that I didn't do anything wrong but it's hindsight makes these things really difficult.

One of the things that made the whole experiences so stressful in the beginning was that I didn't have everything that I needed to hand, like recovery food, syringe, some honey for energy, some sort of mixing dish. I realise that there are many things that can happen but I was wondering what people keep in for their rabbits, or what kind of things you'd put in a bunny first aid kit. Any home remedies for helping a bunny either feel a bit better or just something to keep them going until a vet can be seen.

A huge problem I have since discovered is that whilst my vet surgery is just a 20 minute walk, both times I have tried to get the on-call vet they have asked me to go to another surgery, which is 10 miles away. I have epilepsy with partial seizures that aren't controlled yet, so this means that I'm not allowed to drive, I don't have any friends just yet due to social anxiety (which I have started working on but it isn't close to home), my family live abroad, my husbands family live over 200 miles away and my husband is deployed at the moment, even when he is home he still doesn't have a driving license (should be working on it once he is back from deployment). On Saturday, I tried five different taxi firms, two didn't pick up and the other three said they didn't have anyone free to drive the 10 miles or they didn't drive that far without pre-cooking hours in advance. I tried a pet ambulance, which ordinarily would have been ok but they were also based too far away and said it would take 40 minutes just to get to me and then the 25-30 mintes to the vet. Everything was working against me but I need to get a contingency plan put in place, what would you suggest? I'm going to add a list of important numbers to the kit, I'm thinking on-call vet, some of the taxi companies just in case one of them takes pity on me, the pet ambulance, anything else?

I just feel like the more I'm prepared the less likely bad things are going to happen (I apparently have 'pure-o' ocd, I'm not convinced though) I need to be prepared and I'm annoyed that I haven't been more prepared. Any advice will be welcome!

Hi, a rabbit first aid kit does sound like a good idea to have, embarrassingly I don't have any of those things, should I need them. I'm new to rabbits, but some of the others on here will probably be able to suggest more items.

It does sound like getting to the vets is potentially complicated, but best case scenario would be that you might be able to get to your nearest surgery in future and not get sent further afield (was this because it was out of hours?)

I'm going to send you a PM, hope that's ok x

Yes it was because it was out of hours, it was the most frustrating thing, just going round and round in circles. I have huge anxiety being on the phone too but luckily instinct kicked in and I managed to call everyone I could. I'm thinking maybe finding some sort of emergency vet closer to home to use in a last ditch effort.

Yes, feel free to pm :) x

I can't help much with a 1st aid kit. The only things I have are pain relief, recovery food and materials in case of a serious cut.

If you're able to, maybe speak to a neighbour. Explain the situation and see if they would be kind enough if you ever needed that & they were home? I understand you have anxiety, but my neighbours have always been a great help to me when my family were out and I had emergencies with the ferrets. Xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar position to you in that I have to rely on cabs and public transport to get my buns to the vets (although I'm extremely fortunate in that both buses that go to my GP vet and the hospital run 24 hours in case I have a problem getting a cab). Anyway, I've used Minicabster and Minicabit in the past to book taxis. Think Minicabster might be London only though so best to check. It is a lot quicker and easier than ringing around individual cab firms and you should be able to get hold of a cab quicker for when you need one. I've used both services and had no problems with either of them.

Back