• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny bunker

pennypoos

Mama Doe
Hi
I'm buying new housing for my two rabbits Kenny and daisy. I came across the bunny bunker on face book and really liked it as soon as I saw it.
I searched for reviews on the web, but couldn't find any. So, I thought I'd ask on here and find out if any of you have bought it? And if so, what are your opinions of it?
Thanks 😊

It's a new product hence not having any reviews yet. Whilst the idea behind it is good in practice it is quite dark and also impractical for you to clean or interact with your bunnies in

I feel the same as Tabithakat64, it's a nice idea and gives a good amount of space but I just don't see how it's going to be practical to keep it clean. The run is front opening not top opening so you'd literally have to lie on the floor to clean out the run, while trying to stop your bunnies escaping at the same time. I just don't see how that's going to work, personally.

Yes, I was thinking the same too. It looks very awkward to clean. Don't think I'd fancy lying on the floor on a wet day trying to sweep muck off the steps.

I also think it relies on the rabbits using the 'sleeping area' as a sleeping area. In my experience, bunnies find that nice dark quiet corner and use it as a toilet :lol: So because there's only one indoor space and it's not all that big compared to a traditional 6*2 hutch, if bunny decides to poop in there, it's not going to be quite the cosy winter sleepy warren anticipated. It doesn't have a lot of fully enclosed (i.e. floor as well as roof and at least some sides) space so I'm not sure it will work all that well in winter as it could end being as a very expensive, insulated toilet! There are some people who seem to think it's awesome so good luck to them, but I don't think it's going to be all that practical.

I also think it relies on the rabbits using the 'sleeping area' as a sleeping area. In my experience, bunnies find that nice dark quiet corner and use it as a toilet :lol: So because there's only one indoor space and it's not all that big compared to a traditional 6*2 hutch, if bunny decides to poop in there, it's not going to be quite the cosy winter sleepy warren anticipated. It doesn't have a lot of fully enclosed (i.e. floor as well as roof and at least some sides) space so I'm not sure it will work all that well in winter as it could end being as a very expensive, insulated toilet! There are some people who seem to think it's awesome so good luck to them, but I don't think it's going to be all that practical.

Going by the measurements given in the description, the sleeping area is 6ftx2ft. So quite a decent sized sleeping area. I was thinking of putting a litter tray under the first step that leads up to the sleeping area. But, I suppose like you say, the rabbits might decide to poop in the sleeping area.
Hmmm, I'm beginning to think twice about this now. Might have a look around for an alternative instead. Shame, I really liked it at first.

Oh wow it is 6ft deep isn't it! It doesn't look as big as that in the photos...maybe because there's a hole at one end for the bun to jump up so it doesn't have 6ft of floor space. Thinking about that, how on earth are you supposed to clean that area out? It must be like trying to clean out a 6ft hutch from the short end rather than the length. Sorry, I just can't get my head around the concept at all!

I don't know why people want to make rabbit accommodation in such weird shapes. Daniel had a lovely kennel and run posted the other day - something like that would be far more practical.

It's a nice idea but seems completely impractical. With the amount of space it takes up, you could have a very nice kennel setup instead, which would be MUCH easier to clean and offers more vertical space to work with.

You could also almost guarantee that a poorly bun would pick either under the step or the other farthest corner in which to huddle sadly and refuse to move. It would make getting them out to go to the vets tricky!

A good all round rabbit home but some room for improvement

I have this for my two rabbits,
The sleeping area is good and the plastic means it is easy to clean, and the downstairs area is not too dark.
However, it doesn't have a floor and is meant to be on grass... as you many know rabbits will quickly demolish this and you will be left mud. Luckily I had wire mesh fitted under the grass so nothing was digging in or out:D I covered the grass with tarpaulin, and then newspaper, and then towels/fleece. So the downstairs area is really now an extension of the sleeping area rather than a run. Luckily they have access to an outdoor pen with a digging area which is bed on Aubiose.
The door is pretty big so you can easily get inside it to clean it:roll:
You may want to get some clear tarp as a hutch cover for the front as well though, as there is a lot of mesh and so near the edges the buns can be exposed to the elements. I have also used wood to provide extra protection.
The mesh is strong though, and the timber is pressure treated.
It is expensive, but it is good quality...
Hope this helps :D

Back