• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Messy Bums

Julia25

Alpha Buck
Hello all!

There is a pair of mini lops that i might be adopting.

The lady said that the male gets a messy bottom sometimes when he gets too much veg so their diet is 90% hay with some dry herbs and a veg every now an then.

Do any of your rabbits suffer from this? And how do you prevent it?
I live by a river and lake so there are a lot of flies about so I'm worried about his messy bum attracting flies, of course i would clean it up however...
Is there a specific diet you give them or some helpful tips you can give. I appreciate it :thumb:

I've had two mini lops who had to be on a strict diet otherwise they would get messy bottoms. I wonder if mini-lops are particularly prone to it, as my other buns, who are uppy eared, don't seem to suffer with it?

Anyway, back on point, I found the best diet for them was obviously lots of hay and forage only for greens (no fruit and veg) and strictly limited pellets, ie only five SS per day. It can be a bit trial and error. Scrappy would leave uneaten caecals if given any flowers and readigrass so they had to be cut out. Peanut Butter, on the other hand, was ok with them.

My understanding is that pellets are usually the main culprit for messy bottoms so I'm guessing it would be better to reduce those before the greens.

Back