• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sandy - 02/05/2016

catherine09

Mama Doe
Sandy, I only knew you for a few days but your passing has deeply upset me.

Sandy came to stay with me last week whilst her owner was on holiday. On one of my final checks Monday evening I found her collapsed on her side, she had lost the use of her back legs and her eyes were flickering, she had also wet herself - I scooped her up and without even locking the house or putting her in a carrier we rushed to the emergency vets with her, thinking EC.

By the time we had got to the emergency vets (only a 10 minute drive away) she had deteriorated and I insisted the vet took her immediately to stabilise whilst I rang her owners. 10 minutes later she came back down to say her temperature was 34degrees and they had put her on Oxygen to help her breathing as it was very shallow. I finally got her owners on the phone to discuss options with the vet - whilst the vet was on the phone to her owner the nurse came down to deliver the devastating news that she had passed away.

It was honestly one of the worst moments of my life, I feel like I failed her. She was held in my care and now she has gone. I checked on her only an hour earlier before I had my dinner and she was fine. If only I had gone out 15 minutes earlier she might have made it :cry: I can't stop blaming myself for what happened, even though I know rationally something catastrophic must have happened to cause such a rapid decline. The owner has opted not to do a PM so I guess I will never know for sure.

RIP Sandy. I'm so sorry I couldn't save you. :cry:

Sandy came to stay with me last week whilst her owner was on holiday. On one of my final checks Monday evening I found her collapsed on her side, she had lost the use of her back legs and her eyes were flickering, she had also wet herself - I scooped her up and without even locking the house or putting her in a carrier we rushed to the emergency vets with her, thinking EC.

By the time we had got to the emergency vets (only a 10 minute drive away) she had deteriorated and I insisted the vet took her immediately to stabilise whilst I rang her owners. 10 minutes later she came back down to say her temperature was 34degrees and they had put her on Oxygen to help her breathing as it was very shallow. I finally got her owners on the phone to discuss options with the vet - whilst the vet was on the phone to her owner the nurse came down to deliver the devastating news that she had passed away.

It was honestly one of the worst moments of my life, I feel like I failed her. She was held in my care and now she has gone. I checked on her only an hour earlier before I had my dinner and she was fine. If only I had gone out 15 minutes earlier she might have made it :cry: I can't stop blaming myself for what happened, even though I know rationally something catastrophic must have happened to cause such a rapid decline. The owner has opted not to do a PM so I guess I will never know for sure.

What an awful experience for you, I am so sorry :cry: It must be every Holiday Boarder's nightmare. I very much doubt that you could have done anything more for Sandy.

RIP Little Bunny xx

I am so sorry Catherine :(

It's absolutely devastating when that happens xx

I am so sorry :(

You did nothing wrong although I know that you will struggle to believe that right now.

*hugs*

That really is the worst thing imaginable - bad enough when it is your own rabbit! Binky free Sandy xx

What a nightmare situation for you, but you cannot sit and watch them 24/7. As it was you took her to the vets within minutes of finding her, you cannot ask for anything more of yourself

I'm so sorry :cry: Binky free Sandy

You did everything you could for her, it's not your fault xx

I'm so sorry for you and your client's(?) loss :( You did the best you could and you will blame yourself, but your rational side will take precedence son I hope.

Back