• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

You have one in your garden! You are so lucky. I always get really jelous when I drive past people's gardens with a great big willow tree in. I just think they are so beautiful. I get willow rage! I got lots drying and I would say it's Dennis's second fave. What other trees do you have?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Joey says if the willow is in front & branches accessible from path its kinda public property & help yourself time

You have one in your garden! You are so lucky. I always get really jelous when I drive past people's gardens with a great big willow tree in. I just think they are so beautiful. I get willow rage! I got lots drying and I would say it's Dennis's second fave. What other trees do you have?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh gosh, (a very large) Oak, Ash, Alder, Hawthorn, Cherry, Magnolia, Apples, Pears, Plums and a Greengage. We've also got a very old hedge around the back garden, which has several different species in it.

Todays tuck shop is open

0nO2cxNl.jpg

Omi is this germander speedwell please?

aNdzoj7m.jpg

Yes, to Sticky Bud (aka Cleavers), but don't know about drying :thumb:
Yes to Herb Robert :thumb:
Your last pic I am almost 100% sure is Cow Parsley. However, check the stems. A cross-section of them should be 'U' shaped.

I haven't had chance to ask OH about the Crack Willow yet, although looking online I would be very surprised if it isn't. I also think that the tree to the right of the first pic, with reddish stems, might be Field Maple (loved by rabbits). It might be worth taking some close-up pics of the leaves and stems of this tree and posting them.

Good forage and lovely pics :D

Currently have a mass outbreak of Dandelions on the lawn so I've started picking them both for the hooligans to eat and to dry some in the sun.

Asked OH. In his view the tree is definitely a Willow, but although he thinks it's Crack Willow, he's not 100% sure. The problem is that Willows are known to hybridise quite extensively and so he said he would need to see the tree himself, to confirm it's habit, before being able to say definitely Crack Willow. However, for your purposes Willow is fine :)

He said the other tree in the foreground of the 1st pic and to the right is not (as I thought) Field Maple, but Sycamore, which is a Maple and is fine for rabbits. https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-woods-and-plants-for-rabbits-1239351

What a lot of new forage your rabbits can now have :D

Asked OH. In his view the tree is definitely a Willow, but although he thinks it's Crack Willow, he's not 100% sure. The problem is that Willows are known to hybridise quite extensively and so he said he would need to see the tree himself, to confirm it's habit, before being able to say definitely Crack Willow. However, for your purposes Willow is fine :)

He said the other tree in the foreground of the 1st pic and to the right is not (as I thought) Field Maple, but Sycamore, which is a Maple and is fine for rabbits. https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-woods-and-plants-for-rabbits-1239351

What a lot of new forage your rabbits can now have :D
Thank you for taking the time to look for us. I didn't get any sticky bud as wasn't sure if it was ok but there was miles of it. I need Joweee to confirm if it can be dried ok and if so I'll go back for it. I did pick up the herb robert though. I got loads of plantain, dandies, Hazel and apple leafs

We where definitely wanting to learn Maple leafs. Is there any other trees those shaped leafs could be mixed up with? Thank you again xxx

Sticky bud: Also Joweee and Tui does it taste nice? Would you recommend or leave it

Thank you for taking the time to look for us. I didn't get any sticky bud as wasn't sure if it was ok but there was miles of it. I need Joweee to confirm if it can be dried ok and if so I'll go back for it. I did pick up the herb robert though. I got loads of plantain, dandies, Hazel and apple leafs

We where definitely wanting to learn Maple leafs. Is there any other trees those shaped leafs could be mixed up with? Thank you again xxx

All Maple leaves look similar to this and as far as I am aware, all Maples are ok for rabbits. When I asked my OH to confirm the Willow, he looked at the first pic and said "But that's a Sycamore!", as he was looking at the tree in the foreground. So I would be very confident that it was a Sycamore.

Back