• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Nature's larder is well and truly open round here. Fresh sprouts of bramble leaves, red and white nettles, goosegrass, cow parsley, mallow, hawthorn, shepherd's purse, hogweed, herb Robert. Plus some others I've probably forgotten to mention. Plus lots of long stems of lovely fresh grass which my two absolutely love!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I've noticed a lot of the same too. Hawthorn is hit or miss though - it's either fully in bud or not at all depending where I walk. :lol:

I've been weeding this afternoon, so the rabbits have had loads of Red Deadnettle and Chickweed. We usually manage to hang on to the Deadnettle during the winter, but the abundance of Chickweed is new this year. Apple prunings all eaten up now :(

I've noticed a lot of the same too. Hawthorn is hit or miss though - it's either fully in bud or not at all depending where I walk. [emoji38]
Same here! I hadn't really registered it before until Omi mentioned it in another thread. Weirdly enough, I've been seeing it with ones right next to each other!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I managed to get a great haul this weekend.

I got ribwort, apple leafs, dandies and willow leaf!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I managed to get a great haul this weekend.

I got ribwort, apple leafs, dandies and willow leaf!

Yeah I went looking for baby lambs (none yet, just fat sheep) in Wycoller yesterday & got sticky bud, willow, herb robert, hogweed & first decent amount of plantain. Its too cold & windy for me to be enjoying foraging yet though

There are loads of plants I see all the time but don't know. My mission is to ID 5 new plants this year

Yeah I went looking for baby lambs (none yet, just fat sheep) in Wycoller yesterday & got sticky bud, willow, herb robert, hogweed & first decent amount of plantain. Its too cold & windy for me to be enjoying foraging yet though

There are loads of plants I see all the time but don't know. My mission is to ID 5 new plants this year
Teach me sticky bud

We've always got a lot of different Speedwells in the garden, especially Germander Speedwell. I only realised that rabbits could eat these this year when I saw them listed in Twig's book.

My mission is to ID 5 new plants this year
Cool! I finally clocked some new stuff last year :D Can't remember what because it's in my head now :lol:

I've had all the usual stuff in abundance this year except ribwort plantain. I think it's been swamped by the over-rampant cow parsley!

We've always got a lot of different Speedwells in the garden, especially Germander Speedwell. I only realised that rabbits could eat these this year when I saw them listed in Twig's book.

Ohh, surprisingly I had a mental pic of this, googled images which brought up FHB site who said not worth effort as generally unpalatable. Do Thethra & Tui like it?

Ohh, surprisingly I had a mental pic of this, googled images which brought up FHB site who said not worth effort as generally unpalatable. Do Thethra & Tui like it?

They eat it, but it's not first choice :) Can also see it could be said to be not worth the effort, as it's not very substantial :lol:

I think your No1 new ID really has to be Cow Parsley this year :lol: Now that really is popular!

Teach me sticky bud

I've been trying to google images for you. Google sticky weed images & look at the ones that will make your bunnies happy, not high :lol: It starts as tiny little green relatively soft but shoots up fast & becomes quite coarse. Its a good one for gobbling down in one go & playing bearded bunnies. It will stick to your jumper. Next time I'm out I'll take some pics

Sticky bud is a new name for goosegrass/sticky weed etc. to me. For some reason can't think why 9 year old E is obsessed with it. She's becoming a brilliant little forager and has shown a great recall from what we picked last year. I still don't let her touch cow parsley yet though!

My aim for this year is to actually get out there more.

Last time I went out I spotted a ton of young rosebay willowherb, bindweed, and silverweed. Picked a little bindweed because it grows so aggressively, the other 2 I noted but left.

Meant to be going out, well, now so better rouse OH (who is worse at foraging than his daughter!)

stickybud / goosegrass

1rtywXyl.jpg

Omi please may you give me a lesson in willow trees

I can only identify big weeping willows when they are huge. I think i might have some different willow trees near a lake. They bend over but it doesn't have the long trailing leafs. I think it might be crack willow. Is there any tree that's similar that could be mistaken for willow?

Omi please may you give me a lesson in willow trees

I can only identify big weeping willows when they are huge. I think i might have some different willow trees near a lake. They bend over but it doesn't have the long trailing leafs. I think it might be crack willow. Is there any tree that's similar that could be mistaken for willow?

I'm afraid I'm also not that confident in identifying Willow and there are various types, which each look different. I usually have to check with OH. Probably the best thing you could do is look for the flower on the trees you've seen, which should appear in the next few weeks. The flower will be easier to ID. Also if the trees are already in leaf, pick some and post some pics. Then I'll get OH to have a look. These two sites make it sound quite simple, but it's always not so easy when you actually have to do it.
https://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/tree-identification/willow-s-salix-species/
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/vi...sh-trees/a-z-of-uk-native-trees/crack-willow/

I'm afraid I'm also not that confident in identifying Willow and there are various types, which each look different. I usually have to check with OH. Probably the best thing you could do is look for the flower on the trees you've seen, which should appear in the next few weeks. The flower will be easier to ID. Also if the trees are already in leaf, pick some and post some pics. Then I'll get OH to have a look. These two sites make it sound quite simple, but it's always not so easy when you actually have to do it.
https://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/tree-identification/willow-s-salix-species/
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/vi...sh-trees/a-z-of-uk-native-trees/crack-willow/
From the second link I'm definitely thinking crack willow now. I will take some piccies at the weekend for you. Is weeping willow what you mostly get too? What do your bunnies think of weeping

From the second link I'm definitely thinking crack willow now. I will take some piccies at the weekend for you. Is weeping willow what you mostly get too? What do your bunnies think of weeping

We've got a Weeping Willow in the garden next to the pond and so, yes, that's what I usually give them. The rabbits love it :lol: OH sometimes brings home logs, which the rabbits eat the bark from, but I wouldn't find them easy to ID as Willow and I don't know which type of Willow they are.

Yes, take some pics and we'll have a look :)

We've got a Weeping Willow in the garden next to the pond and so, yes, that's what I usually give them. The rabbits love it [emoji38] OH sometimes brings home logs, which the rabbits eat the bark from, but I wouldn't find them easy to ID as Willow and I don't know which type of Willow they are.

Yes, take some pics and we'll have a look :)
You have one in your garden! You are so lucky. I always get really jelous when I drive past people's gardens with a great big willow tree in. I just think they are so beautiful. I get willow rage! I got lots drying and I would say it's Dennis's second fave. What other trees do you have?

Back