• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

You're probably right. However, it's not a reliable way of distinguishing between different species of plants. Especially this year with the drought followed by rain I'm finding that some plants are growing larger than they normally would e.g. Dandelions ;).

I have some huuuge ones in my garden - they look like salad leaves :lol:

Small haul today. Apple leafs smell so nommy! Making bunny confetti
f080928667f3bf647ea882765083a9a4.jpg
3a1c2477326f32957f53872aaa4996c2.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

very nice! We went out today, bunnies less enthused than usual for some reason. Probably stuffed full of stalky hay. I love making bunny pot pourri -it looks so pretty & smells wonderful

Bob believes bunnies are natural herbalists, that given the opportunity to have free range of the hedgerows, fields & orchards they could select plants to right any minor ailments. What do you think of this idea? As others have said I love giving a big selection as its fascinating who goes for what & when.

I like to believe it too but then I read on here about bunnies chowing down of chocolate, tubs of marg, dog biscuits & chicken curry ;) I have to say Angel (my 1st house bunny) was a rotter for trying to nick chocolates, pizza custs, buttys, anything really. Joey Boo & Mouse occassionally venture forward to sniff our food but always run away in disgust unless its raw fruit, veg or crackers ...

Bob believes bunnies are natural herbalists, that given the opportunity to have free range of the hedgerows, fields & orchards they could select plants to right any minor ailments. What do you think of this idea? As others have said I love giving a big selection as its fascinating who goes for what & when.

I like to believe it too but then I read on here about bunnies chowing down of chocolate, tubs of marg, dog biscuits & chicken curry ;) I have to say Angel (my 1st house bunny) was a rotter for trying to nick chocolates, pizza custs, buttys, anything really. Joey Boo & Mouse occassionally venture forward to sniff our food but always run away in disgust unless its raw fruit, veg or crackers ...

It would be nice to think this were true and I know lots of people hold this view. I can only speak from what I observe here though and I have no evidence for it.

I do think that individual rabbits have a preference for some foods over others, but that doesn't seem to vary depending on how they are feeling health-wise. I think that when rabbits have been poorly and have for instance had a period of not wanting to eat and then improving, they will eat certain types of food e.g. strong smelling herbs, grass, certain forage. I think this can be explained in the same way as a human when recovering from an illness will select food that it feels its digestion can cope with. But I don't think this in either case could be attributed to helping their recovery by the specific food selected.

I want this to be true but Toby ate the buttons off the remote control.

One thing I've noticed is i have never seen wildies eating anything but grass

I want this to be true but Toby ate the buttons off the remote control.

One thing I've noticed is i have never seen wildies eating anything but grass

This is what my OH often says as he sees me give them a large variety of forage :lol: They are known to eat people's vegetables though.

This is what my OH often says as he sees me give them a large variety of forage :lol: They are known to eat people's vegetables though.

& you've seen one eat brambles in your garden. I disturbed a wildie in spring who was tucking in to something in a woodland area which I'm pretty sure was hogweed. I reckon they eat other stuff too but other stuff grows in more privately accessed areas.

I still deep down believe they have potential at least to self medicate through food - like we probably have. Maybe like us some bunnies are really good, some are hopeless, just like people only theirs is based on instinct, ours is tainted by media & other people

I suspect the wild rabbits who don't eat 'mostly grass' quickly perish :thumb: That was my response to the OH wondering why there's any bramble left in the wild over winter around here, given our two's propensity to eat every last bit of it in the colder months!

I have sadly known rabbits to eat poisonous plants to the point where it killed them.
Maybe they tasted good, but they certainly weren't good for them :(

I have sadly known rabbits to eat poisonous plants to the point where it killed them.
Maybe they tasted good, but they certainly weren't good for them :(
Yeaaa Clementine tried to eat peace lily [emoji849] luckily none was ingested but I've still got a piece missing on the leaf she nommed [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

& you've seen one eat brambles in your garden. I disturbed a wildie in spring who was tucking in to something in a woodland area which I'm pretty sure was hogweed. I reckon they eat other stuff too but other stuff grows in more privately accessed areas.

I still deep down believe they have potential at least to self medicate through food - like we probably have. Maybe like us some bunnies are really good, some are hopeless, just like people only theirs is based on instinct, ours is tainted by media & other people
Wildies must have the instinct still. Look at Toby sploofin on the window seal watching the cars go by and you just feel there is nothing wild in his DNA anymore

Mine are loving Ash at the moment. Really easy forage. Mouse is having some as I type, Boo is on apple, Joey is on sploofs

Mine are loving Ash at the moment. Really easy forage. Mouse is having some as I type, Boo is on apple, Joey is on sploofs
I had a look at my local nature reserves website at it tells you what plants and trees are there and Ash came up. There's tons of hazel there and since a few days ago tons of yarrow has appeared!

Back