Page 83 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: my foraging diary

Wise Old Thumper

OK, OH says No 3 is Phragmites Australis (Common Reed). Is there a ditch beside it?

Mama Doe

thanks omi number 1 is marsh woundwort and your right again number 2 is soapwort saponaria officinalis, number 3 does look like common reed and it is in a ditch near water too xx do you know if its safe x

What books are you guys using, if you don't mind me asking? I could do with some better ones x

Quote Originally Posted by EyerollChamp View Post
    What books are you guys using, if you don't mind me asking? I could do with some better ones x
    I just ask Omi

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    thanks omi number 1 is marsh woundwort and your right again number 2 is soapwort saponaria officinalis, number 3 does look like common reed and it is in a ditch near water too xx do you know if its safe x
    Good. The Marsh Woundwort will be OK to feed then

I've no idea regarding the reed, but did find this interesting website when trying to find out. https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/201...eding-rabbits/ It mentions that marsh rabbits eat reeds, but whether it's correct or not I don't know. Lots of the other information in the article is accurate, but I don't know if I would take a chance.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by EyerollChamp View Post
    I use these two for IDing wild flowers. I like them both.

Collins Pocket Guide of Britain and Northern Europe by Fitter and Blamey and
    The Wildflower Key by Francis Rose

I've also got the RWAF foraging book by Twigs to confirm whether a plant is safe.

I find that I can usually manage to narrow a plant down to its family, which helps. I also sometimes have to resort to Google Images to assist if in doubt.

Mama Doe

ive got greenfoods for rabbits & cavies by f r bell and allan trigg
    wild flowers green guide of britain and europe
    a field guide in colour to wild flowers dr alois koch (really old but fantastic)
    rspb wild flowers
    rspb whats that flower
    and of course twigs way foraging book.
    i got most off ebay and second hand shops, when i see a wildflower book i have to buy it lol..

Wise Old Thumper

This site is offering free packets of native wildflower seeds https://www.growwilduk.com/content/seeds-our-mix They've been doing this for a few years now I think. Not all of the plants are OK for rabbits, but some definitely are.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    This site is offering free packets of native wildflower seeds https://www.growwilduk.com/content/seeds-our-mix They've been doing this for a few years now I think. Not all of the plants are OK for rabbits, but some definitely are.
    Thank you Omi

Thanks guys! I started off with Twigs' book, have a couple of Collins field guides and my OH has a nature guide of the British Isles which is sometimes helpful. I'll definitely look into those other ones. It's an addictive hobby x