• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

There’s so much lovely forage around here. All my plant pots with plantains and dandelions are in full leaf now. I can’t bear to get rid of them.

I miss foraging. :cry:

:( I always associate Silver weed with Hector. It must be really difficult for you xx

Hello foragers. Does any one know if flowering currant prunings are safe? They look v much like other currents but I wanted to check. Thanks if any one knows/replies.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Hello foragers. Does any one know if flowering currant prunings are safe? They look v much like other currents but I wanted to check. Thanks if any one knows/replies.[emoji4]

Hi Julia, the short answer is I'm not sure. This falls into the same category as lots of plants in that I would think they are safe, but am unable to find confirmation. They are both Ribes, but that doesn't mean that they are both safe, I don't think.

I've got a flowering currant, but I don't feed it to the rabbits :)

Thanks Omi. I think that's where I am with it. Just had a pile of prunings and I struggle with parting with anything that could have another use. Lots of other stuff to feed them now anyway[emoji3]

The really soft flowers I was talking about a little while ago have finally flowered - I know someone will know what this is. Hubby wanted to de weed the other day, looked at me like I was crazy wanting to look after these ones haha
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eUNAvUR2hzmpEHG82

It could very well be in the twigs way book like the groundsel was :oops: but I can't see it, the only thing close is comfre but the leaves look nothing alike and as I've said before, leaf and stem feel like velvet

The really soft flowers I was talking about a little while ago have finally flowered - I know someone will know what this is. Hubby wanted to de weed the other day, looked at me like I was crazy wanting to look after these ones haha
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eUNAvUR2hzmpEHG82

It could very well be in the twigs way book like the groundsel was :oops: but I can't see it, the only thing close is comfre but the leaves look nothing alike and as I've said before, leaf and stem feel like velvet

At first I was going to say it's a young borage, but on further inspection it looks more like forget-me-not :)

We just went to my favourite quick haul spot & found we are sharing it with wildies. Saw a big boy OH was convinced was an escaped Joey :lol: he hung around in sight a good while & even had a dig. Then a couple of more flighty youngsters . Will take camera next time & see if I can get a photo or 2

We just went to my favourite quick haul spot & found we are sharing it with wildies. Saw a big boy OH was convinced was an escaped Joey :lol: he hung around in sight a good while & even had a dig. Then a couple of more flighty youngsters . Will take camera next time & see if I can get a photo or 2

You used to get some really good photos of wildies, didn't you?

I think your right MM - my gardens covered in it, can rabbits eat forget-me-not?

I personally don't feed it as I would a forage weed, but a small amount won't do any harm.
I have seen it described as a safe rabbit plant :)

It's also described as 'rabbit resistant' which means they probably won't eat much of it. That's down to the individual rabbit :D

You used to get some really good photos of wildies, didn't you?

I would supplement the word really good with lots of :lol: The Joey looking wildie was really close though. I returned to the spot with my camera but no sign.

I am getting increasingly excited about foraging areas. Todays haul included loads of plantain and raspberry for drying. No cabbage for my buns this coming winter - going to be super organised with drying stuff

I would supplement the word really good with lots of :lol: The Joey looking wildie was really close though. I returned to the spot with my camera but no sign.

I am getting increasingly excited about foraging areas. Todays haul included loads of plantain and raspberry for drying. No cabbage for my buns this coming winter - going to be super organised with drying stuff

Remind me where/how you dry it?

I've currently got it all over my yoga mat :shock::lol:

Today mine is drying on chicken wire covered frames as its gorgeously hot & sunny. I'm not adverse to using window sils, kitchen table etc ..not we have guests but thankfully they aren't too frequent

Today mine is drying on chicken wire covered frames as its gorgeously hot & sunny. I'm not adverse to using window sils, kitchen table etc ..not we have guests but thankfully they aren't too frequent

Takes a few days I find, but maybe not if it's outside in the sun, soaking up the Vit D :thumb:

I've got some old run tops ( chicken wire) suspended over plant pots, empty hanging basket frames hanging from greenhouse roof, more random chicken wire....... thanks to this lovely weather it's drying quickly. Like J&B am trying to stock pile- there is so much stuff out there!

Well the wildies round these parts are very camera shy so I present you sheepies instead :lol:

01JswD9m.jpg
hlK0QSlm.jpg
A8xDijQm.jpg

A few photos of my village foraging spots

KPvEr6Nm.jpg
HleCsYqm.jpg
Q3T5bq8m.jpg

and to bring my photos back in line to the thread some lovely geranium & hogweed

CAIBM6Um.jpg
YENwCA4m.jpg

Now I'm off to make dock leaves in to bunting for drying purposes:lol:

Back