Page 71 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Have a search

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...redientid=308&

Used a lot for menopausal symptoms!
    Thanks. I'm not sure I like my bunnies having plants with stuff that mimics hormones but it does seem to have some good properties. Small quantities me thinks

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Thanks. I'm not sure I like my bunnies having plants with stuff that mimics hormones but it does seem to have some good properties. Small quantities me thinks
    I didn't know about the hormonal properties. I have always fed it in quite small quantities, both flowers and leaves, as I have always thought, rightly or wrongly, that it has quite a high calorific value. Twigs advises small quantities in the spring and early summer as it can give rise to bloat (and has the same effect on sheep and horses). I don't see it much that early in the year though. Twigs says it doesn't dry well, possibly because the flower is quite fleshy isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I didn't know about the hormonal properties. I have always fed it in quite small quantities, both flowers and leaves, as I have always thought, rightly or wrongly, that it has quite a high calorific value. Twigs advises small quantities in the spring and early summer as it can give rise to bloat (and has the same effect on sheep and horses). I don't see it much that early in the year though. Twigs says it doesn't dry well, possibly because the flower is quite fleshy isn't it.
    That's a shame it doesn't dry well. I may try some in the dehydrator & see what happens

Yes, it's those hormonal qualities I was referring to

It is quite fattening - supposedly, though I've never found it to be so.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Yes, it's those hormonal qualities I was referring to

It is quite fattening - supposedly, though I've never found it to be so.
    I never even consider the calorific value of forage which might explain why my bunnies gain 100g each a year. You sound like you are scoffing it yourself ?

I never even consider the calorific value of forage which might explain why my bunnies gain 100g each a year. You sound like you are scoffing it yourself ?
    Makes a lovely salad, don't you know

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Hurrah! Finally found willowherb today! It was in a bit of an awkward spot - probably why I hadn't spotted it before - and I had to wade through stinging nettle to get to it. I got to stung to buggery Still, anything for my little angels
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Hurrah! Finally found willowherb today! It was in a bit of an awkward spot - probably why I hadn't spotted it before - and I had to wade through stinging nettle to get to it. I got to stung to buggery Still, anything for my little angels
    I hope they appreciated your efforts Scrappy? Mine are a "meh" about it which is a shame because its so easy to gather. Yet it is Omi's bunnies fave.

When is it best to hack off apple branches, does anybody know? They only have teeny tiny fruit at the mo. I don't even know what kind of apples or how big they get but of course I'm just interested in the freshest leaves

Warren Veteran

When is it best to hack off apple branches, does anybody know? They only have teeny tiny fruit at the mo. I don't even know what kind of apples or how big they get but of course I'm just interested in the freshest leaves
    The leaves will start to turn in the autumn and then drop. Once that process starts, I "help" the leaves perform their duty by picking them and feeding them. I would rather do this then than wait until they actually drop on the ground.

The trees get pruned after this has happened and when the trees are dormant, usually around early winter time. We then put the sticks in buckets of water to keep them fresh and let the rabbits have a few at a time. We don't really have any large branches to prune off.

So, to answer your question about the freshest leaves, I would say anytime between now and autumn. It is beneficial to the tree though for the leaves to remain on the tree as long as possible.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Impressive dedication I really hope they like it. Which Willowherb was it?