• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Im feeling quite jealous that you can all still forage :lol: Mine are still on my dried reserves. I really need to get their VHD2 done but every time i save there is an emergency and with 10 buns i need to save a lot. Going to ring round loads of vets tomorrow and just choose the cheapest.

Its a shame there isn't that mobile bus someone spoke of on here, that was really cheap for vaccinations

Im feeling quite jealous that you can all still forage :lol: Mine are still on my dried reserves. I really need to get their VHD2 done but every time i save there is an emergency and with 10 buns i need to save a lot. Going to ring round loads of vets tomorrow and just choose the cheapest.

Are you not foraging because of the VHD2 risk?

I'm finding loads of borage and nettles. I thought mine weren't keen on them but they seem to be scoffing them up OK

yes im not foraging because of the VHD2 mainly because ive seen widies were i forage. It doesnt make sense really because i was foraging in summer without it. I just feel after losing blitzen i couldnt take the risk. Im sure VHD2 was out in summer though and i didnt think about it then.
Ive never tried them on nettles or borage. might give them a go.

My rabbits had their VHD2 jabs just before Christmas. Couldn't have it done much before as vet didn't have it to start with and then Tethra was ill for weeks. I thought about stopping foraging, mainly because most of my stuff comes from the garden and we have wild rabbits and squirrels etc. I decided to continue, although knowing it was a risk. But then not feeding my rabbits forage in my view is also a risk.

What helped my decision was looking across the road at a hayfield, where wild rabbits are living. If I stopped foraging, I would also have to think about hay, which is likely to be grown where there are wild rabbits. Any vegetables grown in my garden would be grown under similar conditions, as would vegetables in the supermarket.

It's difficult.

Thats why im confused, because i know this. Ive only got a bit of dried stuff left so im going to have to forage something, i cant let them go without it they will hate me lol.. Plus what doesnt make even more sense is even when i stopped ground foraging and went to trees only i still never took my shoes off when i came home so they could have been infected there. I argue with myself all the time. You are right it is difficult.

Ive been brave and the buns have been enjoying some freshly picked forage. Im only managing to find brambles and cow parsley but today ive found a treasure trove of new hogweed and herb robert too. The buns are loving it. Sticky willie is growing now too.

Ive been brave and the buns have been enjoying some freshly picked forage. Im only managing to find brambles and cow parsley but today ive found a treasure trove of new hogweed and herb robert too. The buns are loving it. Sticky willie is growing now too.

wahey, you have inspired me to look beyond brambles. I can't wait til I can bring mountains off it home (not hogweed though - it still makes me anxious, especially since my main new foraging area is alongside the beck).

I was shocked with how much was growing. I even brought a plant home and identified it as herb bennet (wood avens) but forgot to take a pic. I only started may last year to forage so everything looks different than in spring. It took me a while today to remember what the herb robert was until a smelled it, i always think it smells like coriander. I was all excited again lol..

Excellent :D Gosh that's very early for Herb Robert. I'll have to have a look where I know some grew last year. My rabbits love the Herb Bennet and I was finding leaves on it all through the winter. It's lovely to see all the new growth appearing.

wahey, you have inspired me to look beyond brambles. I can't wait til I can bring mountains off it home (not hogweed though - it still makes me anxious, especially since my main new foraging area is alongside the beck).

Hogweed, or foraging?

I have yet to find some hogweed in my usual haunts. I only managed to find (lots of) it at Twigs' House and nearby :D

hogweed. I'm quite confident foraging generally- the bunnies are all still alive anyway.

But can Hog be confused with anything poisonous like Cow parsley/hemlock?

I don't think I would recognise it now anyway ....
Shame how these things disappear from the memory if you don't find them regularly and pick them ...

I'm mostly picking goosegrass and cow parsley out and about at the moment. Also bramble and some very old herb bennet in the back garden. I haven't been on a good long forage for a while.

Boo just now, looking a tad scary. I won't put em all on now are a year on I've still no idea how to resize photos

IMG_3052_zpsfrpcsefa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Aaawww I was looking for post 155 and I saw Boo again :love::love::love:

Have another look at post 155 on this thread regarding Hogweed.

sorry Omi, I missed your post. I've had a look again, maybe I;ll brave it after you lot can confirm my photos are not too feathery...once I take some that is

I think i might have found violets today. I have took a pic of it but its hard to see with it not flowering yet. And here is a photo of the new growth hogweed too.
violets_zps8qziniff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
hogweed_zpscokfqyqs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back