• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

My chamomile has grown again :lol: crazy weather, borage has too!

Loads of dandelions again woo hoo

Yes, we've got loads of Dandelions too. Also loads of Cow Parsley, Hogweed, Avens, RedDead-nettle and small Dock leaves.

:lol:

I am boarding a couple of rabbits at the moment who are trying to lose weight :) They are getting lots of forage and are scooping it all up, thorns and stings and all :lol:

C'mon this can't be true :lol: No rabbit tries to lose weight. They all eat as much as they can, when they can........don't they? Methinks a HUMAN has decided that these poor rabbits are a little bit too bonny, n'est-ce pas?:lol:

C'mon this can't be true :lol: No rabbit tries to lose weight. They all eat as much as they can, when they can........don't they? Methinks a HUMAN has decided that these poor rabbits are a little bit too bonny, n'est-ce pas?:lol:

I think I might have put the idea into their little heads, it's true :lol:

Yes, we've got loads of Dandelions too. Also loads of Cow Parsley, Hogweed, Avens, RedDead-nettle and small Dock leaves.

My husband found my foraging book, it had slipped down the end of the kitchen table woo hoo so I was out with it yesterday :thumb:

I think I might have put the idea into their little heads, it's true :lol:

They really are crazy eating machines! Just like me :oops:

Maybe I need a diet of nettles & brambles :lol:

Loads & loads of Blackthorn gathered today - probably far too much for three bunnies but I'm a woman possessed. Also lots of sloe berries - no green ones picked this year so hoping my sloe gin won't taste of cyanide this year. F in law still here (taken up permanent residence) so took my coffee out for some tranquil time & a big hairy dog stuck his nose in it & had a big slurp !! Bad doggy

Loads & loads of Blackthorn gathered today - probably far too much for three bunnies but I'm a woman possessed. Also lots of sloe berries - no green ones picked this year so hoping my sloe gin won't taste of cyanide this year. F in law still here (taken up permanent residence) so took my coffee out for some tranquil time & a big hairy dog stuck his nose in it & had a big slurp !! Bad doggy

Calming vibes sent. A pity you'll have to wait so long for the sloe gin to mature :lol:

At new place?! Bad doggy - should be welcoming new neighbours not stealing from them :lol:

Not ever seen Blackthorn down here. I shall have to have another look at a photo to remind myself what it looks like even :)

At new place?! Bad doggy - should be welcoming new neighbours not stealing from them :lol:

Not ever seen Blackthorn down here. I shall have to have another look at a photo to remind myself what it looks like even :)

No - out the back of rented house. There is a blackthorn near new house. I'll post a photo one day soon if you like madmax :lol:

There's usually loads in any rural hedge anywhere :thumb: We have lots within our hedges, although I've never fed it.

Can someone remind me please what can be fed and when. Am I right in thinking it's only OK this time of the year?

So today on an impromptu visit to no man's land, I found huge amounts of dead nettle (among stinging nettle). I wasn't expecting it to be in flower at this time of year?

So today on an impromptu visit to no man's land, I found huge amounts of dead nettle (among stinging nettle). I wasn't expecting it to be in flower at this time of year?

Yes, we've got quite a lot around the property at the moment. Now I would have agreed with you and would have said it was a Spring flowering plant, but I've just checked in my book and it says Jan-Dec :shock:

There's still quite a variety of plants to be had here. I think the warmish weather a week or so ago plus the rain since has brought them on. Lots of the Spring flowering perennials are also trying to flower again. If the nights get much colder then I don't think that will continue. We and the rabbits are making the most of it :D

Yes, we've got quite a lot around the property at the moment. Now I would have agreed with you and would have said it was a Spring flowering plant, but I've just checked in my book and it says Jan-Dec :shock:

There's still quite a variety of plants to be had here. I think the warmish weather a week or so ago plus the rain since has brought them on. Lots of the Spring flowering perennials are also trying to flower again. If the nights get much colder then I don't think that will continue. We and the rabbits are making the most of it :D

Thank you Omi :D

Im going stripping some leaves off trees before its to late. They have eaten most of my dried stuff now so will have to dry some more.

Will be quite a rush to get enough forage for the winter now? I'd better have a look around myself - only hawthorn here really ..

The leaves on my apple and pear trees are going yellow, and there seems to be a small window to pick them before they turn .

Will be quite a rush to get enough forage for the winter now? I'd better have a look around myself - only hawthorn here really ..

The leaves on my apple and pear trees are going yellow, and there seems to be a small window to pick them before they turn .

The leaves on our apple trees have been turning yellow for several weeks now. I have been picking a very large handful early morning for the rabbits, when I'm on "watch" while the chickens free range. I noticed this morning that there was more than one handful available for picking, so they had a second handful this afternoon :) The Dandelions have become quite large and also the Cow Parsley has grown a lot recently. The Common Hogweed is growing well and so is the Common Mallow. We still also have lots of Plantain (both types).

I had a forage today, no violently tugging at Ash - practically fell off. Still had to wrestle with the willow though

Back